LumberJocks

Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'small cabinet'

  • Advertise with us
View sras's profile

Tea Bag Holder Cabinet #10: Inserts for doors

03-09-2021 03:30 PM by sras | 11 comments »

Lots of little pieces in this entry! I started with the half circles – largest one first. Since this spalted maple can be fragile I prefinished the wood. To dial in the fit I use my disc sander. But I turn the disc by hand – usually only a couple inches of travel at a time. That way I can safely place my hand close to the disc and limit how much wood gets removed. First one done. My fingernail dented the wood enough that I had to sand back most of the finis...

Read this entry »


View sras's profile

Tea Bag Holder Cabinet #8: Door work continues

02-19-2021 04:09 AM by sras | 15 comments »

I have one more set of details to add to the door – a set of 3 circular recesses. First – make a template. Then add cleats to locate the doors vertically. And add cleats to lock in the position side to side. Remove the doors to make sure there is no glue on them Add a strap across the back to keep every thing in place Set up a guide collar on the router table. Cut all three pockets. I made several passes to get to full depth. The...

Read this entry »


View sras's profile

Tea Bag Holder Cabinet #7: More work on the doors

02-17-2021 03:54 AM by sras | 5 comments »

I’m still at work on this. Had a couple days out of the shop – couldn’t keep it warm. A lot of the work here is slow – plenty of time at work with little to see. The doors get some decorative strips on them. I chose to put the grooves in before I separated the doors. I use a 3/32” bit in my router table. The fence and stops allowed me to accurately locate the grooves – until I misread my tape measure :) I used a chisel and sanding to get...

Read this entry »


View sras's profile

Tea Bag Holder Cabinet #6: Box Assembly

02-12-2021 02:30 AM by sras | 4 comments »

This entry covers the last 3 days. I got the door assembly out of the clamps. So far so good. And here is where all the time went. It took 2 days to get the finish right on the interior surfaces. I masked off any surface that would accept glue later. Time for a side project while the finish dries. My hinges came with #2 sized screws. If I open up the countersinks I can use a #4 which has a lot more holding power. I used my sacrificial block from cutting the hinge notc...

Read this entry »


View sras's profile

Tea Bag Holder Cabinet #5: Door construction

02-09-2021 03:40 AM by sras | 2 comments »

The door blank needs to be split into 2 parts – a door top and a door front. I’m going to join them with a mitered rabbet joint. I cut the step for the rabbet on the router table. The rest of the cuts were done on the table saw. I made sure I had the blade set at an exact 45 degrees. It took a bit few passes to sneak up on the fit. I was so involved I forgot to take any set up pictures. Here is the result. I then glued the mitered rabbet as the first as...

Read this entry »


View sras's profile

Tea Bag Holder Cabinet #4: Final details on the main cabinet

02-07-2021 11:39 PM by sras | 10 comments »

I need to put a cutout on each of the 3 shelves and floor. For this I need a template. Make the cutout on a template. Then locate a shelf on the template blank. Glue a cleat on each side. Draw the cutout on each piece. The next 3 steps are shown here. Rough cut on bandsaw (middle), route with template (bottom), and sand profile (top). Here’s a piece ready for routing The template provides extra support while rounding the first edge. The s...

Read this entry »


View sras's profile

Tea Bag Holder Cabinet #3: Some steps back and a few more forward

02-07-2021 03:07 AM by sras | 7 comments »

First up today was to correct a mistake I made yesterday. When I cut the back rabbet on the top I had the part turned around. I have been keeping parts aligned so the grain pattern runs across the top and down the front. With this mistake the grain didn’t line up at all. So I cut a filler piece from some scrap. I cut it slightly oversize on the thickness and width. The length matches the top. Some glue and clamps. After the glue set up I trimed the patch to fit. ...

Read this entry »


View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Back to Work on My 2 Year Project...

09-27-2009 05:45 PM by Todd A. Clippinger | 17 comments »

A Great Breakfast Rita and I had a great breakfast and visit with Dave Mitchell and his wife. They are passing through Billings and stayed at the campgrounds down the street since they are pulling their little camp trailer. We had a nice visit last night. I gave him the shop tour and showed the few pieces that we have been able to keep over the years. Now they have left it is time to get back on this little project for Rita. A Recap (Short Version) I started making this project...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com