LumberJocks

Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'holtzapffel workbench'

  • Advertise with us
View Damian Penney's profile

Operation Holtzapffel #11: Light at the end of the tunnel

10-16-2008 12:55 AM by Damian Penney | 15 comments »

So here is my progress so far, definitely getting closer :) Just need to add the vises, do some final flattening of the top once I flip it et voila :) And a quick pic of my new pride and joy :)

Read this entry »


View kem's profile

The Holtzapffel Project #9: Veritas Twin Screw Face Vise

07-09-2008 10:29 PM by kem | 13 comments »

Over the holiday weekend and in between rain delays of the mesmerizing Nadal-Federer final, I finished up my Holtzapffel workbench. The last two things to do were the face vise and a shelf under the bench. For the face vise, I decided to use the Veritas twin screw. It’s about the same price as wooden screws and I liked the prospect of one-handed operation due to the chain drive. This vise requires two support blocks and a chop. Here are the finished pieces: I made them out of ...

Read this entry »


View kem's profile

The Holtzapffel Project #8: The end vise

07-04-2008 07:42 PM by kem | 7 comments »

Happy Independence Day! I’m looking forward to the three day weekend to put the finishing touches on my workbench: adding the twin-screw face vise and a shelf underneath. Since the last time, I flattened the top and applied some Danish oil to the bench. I also installed the end vise and have really enjoyed using it. Here’s a look at the bench while planing the chop for the end vise. You can also see the slotted tool rack in the upper right from a design in woodworking ma...

Read this entry »


View kem's profile

The Holtzapffel Project #7: Constructing the base: lots of big mortises and tenons

06-23-2008 12:08 AM by kem | 11 comments »

With the top in good shape, I went back to constructing the base. I previously milled and glued up the thick (3.5” x 5”) legs. Milling and gluing up the stretchers was more of the same, so I didn’t get any pictures of that process. I made the long stretchers by gluing up two boards, one of which was 3” longer on each end to make a ready-made tenon. For the end stretchers I decided not to use the ready-made technique since I wanted to try out a new Freud dado stack for ...

Read this entry »


View kem's profile

The Holtzapffel Project #5: The workbench top, part I

05-21-2008 07:06 AM by kem | 7 comments »

As you can see in the picture below, Douglas fir comes in a wide range of colors. These are the boards that I selected for the top. The boards with the wild figure are more quartersawn. I kind of like the straight grain lines of the rift sawn and plain sawn boards. If I had to do it over I might have paid more attention to this, but as it is it’s not too bad. Since there was such a wide diversity of colors, I tried to arrange a kind of gradient from dark to light to dark again. We’...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com