LumberJocks

Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'henge'

  • Advertise with us
View David Bareford's profile

Building a Goat Barn #8: The Circle Is Complete

07-31-2014 03:54 PM by David Bareford | 3 comments »

This post is a bit celebratory: the wall frames are completely up and the retaining walls are built! Here is the state of the project: And finally complete: And here is a long shot, showing HALF of the distance and elevation gain from my driveway: So now, on Aug 9th, I’m inviting friends and family over for a barn raising to add the rafters!

Read this entry »


View David Bareford's profile

Building a Goat Barn #7: The Henges Go Up

07-31-2014 02:38 PM by David Bareford | 2 comments »

To start building the lower retaining wall, I needed to have two of my wall posts in place as the outer anchor points. I quickly realized that I couldn’t just drop a post in a hole: I needed to build the whole henge and install it as a unit. Why? Because of the mortise-and-tenon diagonal braces, I had to make sure that the mortise was the right height and angle to mate with the overhead beam and its adjoining post. Even though timber framing doesn’t have to be to the thousand...

Read this entry »


View David Bareford's profile

Building a Goat Barn #6: The Retaining Wall Saga Continues...

07-31-2014 01:30 PM by David Bareford | 3 comments »

So as I finished digging the hill back to the necessary perimeter for the barn, I also continued trying to find an alternate kind of retaining wall a bit less heavy than seventeen tons of stone. My trusty Home Depot Outdoor book included the suggestion of a post-and-board wall. Since I happened to have a fair amount of treated 2×6 boards from my friend’s demolished deck, I decided to sink my upper four posts into the ground (rather than sitting on padstones), cement them in place, ...

Read this entry »


View David Bareford's profile

Building a Goat Barn #3: Preparing the Timbers and Digging the Site Out

07-30-2014 06:04 PM by David Bareford | 1 comment »

By the time of the first snowfall in December (again, I’m writing this months after the fact), I had collected enough timber for all of my posts and beams (with a few extras just in case) and about half of my rafters. With the help of Eleanor, my oldest daughter (she’s 9), I drawknifed the bark off the logs and stacked and stickered them for drying over the winter and spring. By April they had lost considerable amounts of water weight, but many of them showed some considerable ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com