LumberJocks

Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'glue up'

  • Advertise with us
View Dave Polaschek's profile

Building a brace till #15: Last drawer boxes / odds and ends

01-01-2022 06:32 PM by Dave Polaschek | 13 comments »

A few odds and ends as I built the last two drawer boxes today. First is one of the steps I don’t think I’ve mentioned in previous write-ups of building a dovetailed box. If the opposing sides of the box are not the same length, it will be very difficult to make a square box. So after cutting the sides, I will match up the opposite sides in my face vise and look at their lengths. If they’re uneven, like this pair are, they will need some clean-up. I do the cleanup with a block plane...

Read this entry »


View Dave Polaschek's profile

Sandpaper shelves #4: The Big Glue-Up

11-06-2021 05:18 PM by Dave Polaschek | 8 comments »

Not too much to report today. I put everything together this morning in a test fit. It was pretty good, except the front panel had potato-chipped a little bit. Drat. With that out of the way, I carefully took everything apart and put glue on the rails and shelf supports and put them into the back of the frame. Then aligned everything and set the front of the frame onto the glued shelf supports and rails. Wiped up glue that had run pretty much everywhere, and then started clamping. I put...

Read this entry »


View Newbie17's profile

Princess castle bed #1: Thinking outside the box for glue up

12-28-2020 01:35 AM by Newbie17 | 0 comments »

One of the things I like about this hobby is having to get creative. I had my truck keys in my hand and was heading toward the door to go buy a type of clamp I don’t currently have for what I thought was a tricky situation. I needed to clamp a 3/4” x 3/4” rectangular strip of wood to a strip that was at 45 degrees. Clamping the normal way wouldn’t work because of the angled board I needed to clamp. Below is the solution I came up with. Use a board clamped to the workbench and extend the clamp...

Read this entry »


View Dave Polaschek's profile

Jefferson Bookcases #15: Art books case

11-22-2020 02:05 PM by Dave Polaschek | 6 comments »

I have a bunch of art books that are formatted landscape. They’re basically coffee-table books, and they don’t fit well in the cases I’ve built so far, so I decided to make a special case for them. The main problem is that when I figured out the dimensions I’ll need, I will need a 1×16 to make the case, and I can’t buy 16 inch wide pine here in New Mexico (and shipping a board from the east coast didn’t seem especially wise). In case that’s hard to read, the measurements are:2 ...

Read this entry »


View Craftsman on the lake's profile

One More Guitar #3: Gluing up the neck and back plates, prepping the mold

10-09-2020 10:15 PM by Craftsman on the lake | 3 comments »

The past couple of days I glued up the neck, glued the rosewood back plates, and prepped an old mold I had from long, long ago in a size and style I liked so I decided to use it again. The video Here.

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Adventures in Lutherie #12: A few shots from my day

06-13-2017 09:04 PM by Dave Rutan | 0 comments »

I’ve been going through the ‘bone pile’ in the shop, looking for specimens that I think I have the ability to repair. The best way to learn is to do, and since these were actually already in the scrap box, how could I possibly goof anything up? My boss once said to me that if I goof something up, we’ll just take it apart and fix it. These first two shots are of a 3/4 violin that had a missing corner on the upper left C bout. The top of violins is spruce, IE the same...

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Current Project #36: Picture frame glue-up

05-29-2017 06:23 PM by Dave Rutan | 1 comment »

Project to follow soon.

Read this entry »


View Trapper brandenburger's profile

Marine Corps Naval cannon project #7: Glue up and test fit.

07-28-2016 08:11 PM by Trapper brandenburger | 1 comment »

Yesterday and today were big days. Our shop welder made some steel plates and tapped & died some holes to receive the 1/2” all thread. I mortised out an area for them to go on the bottom of the top main runner. Then I glued the main runners together and let them cook over night. Today I put everything together and test fit the cannon in the carriage. Fit like a glove! I did have to notch out the elevation plate so it would sit lower. I also cut down the elevation wedge to make the c...

Read this entry »


View needshave's profile

biscuits VS mortise and tenon

02-29-2016 05:11 PM by needshave | 3 comments »

I have never been a real believer in the use of biscuits in the glue up of large table tops or wider sections in general. Especially where end grain and long grain must be glued together. However, I have never used them either. I’m very old school and have always defaulted to Mortise and tenon and have often pinned those joints with dowels. It strong, its reliable, if time and proper procedures are used to make the joints properly. That’s the downfall this construction method i...

Read this entry »


View HuckD's profile

Videos by HuckD #18: Dowel Jig 3

01-27-2016 07:20 AM by HuckD | 0 comments »

My third dowel jig. This one for edge joining boards for table top glue ups. Simple, inexpensive and easy to make. https://youtu.be/MLMpO8BQfFk

Read this entry »


1 2 3 4 ... 6 next »
54 entries


DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com