LumberJocks

Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'general finishes dye'

  • Advertise with us
View Ron Aylor's profile

• Fr. Chad's Prie Dieu #4: A Secret Drawer

08-27-2017 09:18 PM by Ron Aylor | 4 comments »

A Secret Drawer –  With the barley twist split spindle completed and resting quietly out of harms ways, I start work on the kneeling platform.  Now … what Elizabethan/Louis XIII style Prie Dieu would be complete without a secret compartment? Besides, where else would a Reformation Era priest have kept those controversial texts? After a great deal of thought and working out countless possibilities in my head; I decided on a secret drawer patterned after that of Marc Spagnuolo’...

Read this entry »


View Ron Aylor's profile

• Fr. Chad's Prie Dieu #15: The Top

01-12-2018 08:41 PM by Ron Aylor | 9 comments »

The Top –  I haven’t had much shop time since my last blog post. The weather was not on my side. If it wasn’t dark and rainy, it was just too cold to be in the shop. Besides that I was down with the flu from the day after Christmas until just a few days ago. If it isn’t one thing it’s another. The last few days have been great, though. I was able to glue up and smooth the top …                   … and get the trim pieces and corners ready for gadrooning.        ...

Read this entry »


View Ron Aylor's profile

• Fr. Chad's Prie Dieu #3: Barley Twist Split Spindle

08-20-2017 05:18 PM by Ron Aylor | 6 comments »

Barley Twist Split Spindle - With most woodworking projects, especially hand tool projects, consistency is a challenge in and of itself. The mirror image barley twist proved no exception. After several hours in the file box, back and forth with chisel, rasp, and file, I feel like perhaps I achieved the proverbial close enough!  Although slightly off in spots, I think the mirror image accent pieces will turn out just fine.  At least … I’m happy with the results! Also, I do believe ...

Read this entry »


View Ron Aylor's profile

• Fr. Chad's Prie Dieu #5: Butterflies & Trim

09-03-2017 07:46 PM by Ron Aylor | 7 comments »

Butterflies & Trim –  Once the secret drawer was fitted and working properly, I glued up three walnut boards to form the top of the kneeling platform. Once the glue dried and the top was squared, I attached it to the frame with seven 3/4” x 3/4” glue blocks.  Once that  glue dried I decided to add butterflies to re-enforce the rub joint.  I used 3/16” thick cocobolo for the three 1” x 3” butterflies.                 Next up I planed and card scraped a walnut board for th...

Read this entry »


View Ron Aylor's profile

• Fr. Chad's Prie Dieu #8: Onward & Upward

10-26-2017 10:14 PM by Ron Aylor | 4 comments »

Onward & Upward –  As mentioned in the comments section of the previous blog post, the kneeling platform depleted my supply of walnut! After visiting Suwanee Lumber (the best little lumber yard in all of Georgia) I not only secured enough walnut to complete this project, but managed to bring home quite a bit of cherry and ash. Wanting to get this new lumber off the floor and out of the way, I took a few days to build some cantilevered shelving.   With the new lumber out of the way a...

Read this entry »


View Ron Aylor's profile

• Fr. Chad's Prie Dieu #10: Panels Rising

11-17-2017 12:16 AM by Ron Aylor | 8 comments »

Panels Rising -  With all of the mortises cut and a bit of tab A into slot B  …                 … the frame of the Prie Dieu back began to take shape.  Once fitted together I drilled holes for the draw-bore pins.  While the frame was clamped up, I determined the overall size of the panels to be 7-7/8” x 13-3/4” …  ... I decided on a profile akin to this.          I then cut two panels from 3/4” Ambrosia maple stock. With the walnut receiving the General Finishes Medium Brown Dye/S...

Read this entry »


View Ron Aylor's profile

• Fr. Chad's Prie Dieu #7: The Right Color

09-24-2017 06:17 PM by Ron Aylor | 6 comments »

The Right Color –  Wanting to capture the color of the altar table in the Harvard Chapel of Southwark Cathedral, London, I decided (after a bit of trial and error)  on a concoction of 4 ounces of General Finishes Medium Brown Dye/Stain (straight out of the can)  diluted with 1-1/2 ounces of water.   I covered the cocobolo butterflies with tape and slathered on a quick coat, letting it sit for about ten minutes before soaking up the residue with a paper towel. I let this dry for about 30...

Read this entry »


View Ron Aylor's profile

• Fr. Chad's Prie Dieu #12: Upper Case

12-01-2017 09:56 PM by Ron Aylor | 6 comments »

Upper Case - Before any assembly of the upper case could take place, I needed to cut a few dados for shelves. Once located, I struck knife lines for the thickness of the shelf stock. I then used a chisel to accentuate the knife lines … creating a nice little trough for …  … the gent saw to cut the shoulders of the dado(s) ...  … and a chisel to bust loose the waste.  I then went to town with my Old Woman’s Tooth … cleaning out the dado(s) to a 1/4” depth …  … all the while k...

Read this entry »


« prev 1 2
18 entries


DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com