LumberJocks

Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'arts and crafts'

  • Advertise with us
View Ryan Tanguay's profile

Morris style glider #12: Back at it... again

01-29-2019 03:55 AM by Ryan Tanguay | 1 comment »

OK, this is a little embarrassing… It has been nearly 4.5 years since my first post on this chair. I was originally going to make this chair prior to my daughter’s birth in March of 2015 for rocking and feeding her. She is turning 4 in just a couple of months and I am only halfway done. Luckily I get a second chance! My second daughter is due at the end of April. It’s go time. I have moved since my last post and now live in Charlotte, NC. This allows for more comfortable ...

Read this entry »


View BlueRidgeDog's profile

Arts and Crafts Dresser #3: Drawer Webs

01-27-2019 06:58 PM by BlueRidgeDog | 2 comments »

Drawer Webs are in – al least a dry fit to measure and mark a few other things (Webs are a combination of Drawer Supports and Drawer Runners). I just love the stage where you have to start walking around a piece…where it takes semi-assembled form. Stock was milled (oak for front, ash for back and runners). Runners are attached to the Supports with a 1” tenon. The mortise was cut on the router table using a 1/4” spiral up-cut bit. Two bits actually!!! Th...

Read this entry »


View ralbuck's profile

Old and new

01-23-2019 09:34 PM by ralbuck | 10 comments »

Just a mix of the old and the newer. The smaller cars—Some are man-cave specials (bottle openers) and the tow truck ( It is dated 7-2000) on the bottom being played with by the youngest great grandson.

Read this entry »


View Jeff_harden's profile

Big Texas Walnut Slabs #2: Big and Wide Texas Walnut Slab Check Them Out

01-16-2019 01:17 PM by Jeff_harden | 15 comments »

Read this entry »


View BlueRidgeDog's profile

Arts and Crafts Dresser #2: Side panels and legs

01-13-2019 10:48 PM by BlueRidgeDog | 4 comments »

I milled up the stock for the legs and panels: Dry fit to test fit and get the final dimensions for the panel: Picked out some amazing grain wood for the panels, milled then book-matched two panels. I had planned on saving this wood for drawers, but I “think” I have enough: Trimmed the panels to width and test fit to mark the arch: Cut the mortises in the legs to take the cross stretcher: Glued up the panels and aggressively smoothed them. Cent...

Read this entry »


View BlueRidgeDog's profile

Arts and Crafts Dresser #1: Design and Getting Started

01-07-2019 03:31 PM by BlueRidgeDog | 3 comments »

I am working on an entire bedroom suite for ME (finally time). The finished group: I have finished the bed and the night stands. The bed is a platform bed that is the height I am accustomed to and works for me and my memory foam mattress. I use a large dresser, being a folder vs a hanger so to speak. The one I am going to make is 65” wide, 19” deep and about 39” high. The size is a bit outside traditional for Arts and Crafts, but I have adjusted the flow of ...

Read this entry »


View Dubbs's profile

American flag bench #7: Final assembly bench is done!

12-09-2018 07:08 AM by Dubbs | 2 comments »

So second coat of spa urethane went on. Final assembly done! Bench came out pretty nice for my first real wood project. I learned a few things along the way and picked up some tools

Read this entry »


View kordwood's profile

Ellis-Mackintosh-Limbert mashup table #3: Glaze applied

11-23-2018 09:22 PM by kordwood | 4 comments »

Rubbing the walnut gel stain really fills the pores of the oak. I’ve found it’s important to wipe it off thoroughly —and quickly — in order to get good contrast. This piece is small, so I didn’t have to use mineral spirits to remove excess glaze. In 24 hours or so, it’ll be ready for the first of two coats of satin Waterlox.

Read this entry »


View Dubbs's profile

American flag bench #5: Layed out the union (kind of a pain) and stained it blue

11-22-2018 01:09 AM by Dubbs | 0 comments »

Came out pretty good! Can’t wait to spa urethane it!

Read this entry »


View kordwood's profile

Ellis-Mackintosh-Limbert mashup table #2: Branded. Then finishing begins.

11-21-2018 10:06 PM by kordwood | 2 comments »

The little plant stand/table project is moving along. This morning — at an ungodly hour before work — I gave it a final sanding with 180-grit, vacuumed the pores, branded it with my mark, and saturated the whole thing with TransTint dye. I was particularly happy with the two half-lap joints that hold the base together. I’ve only done a few, but these are by far the best. Can’t wait to see them totally finished. Next up: Waterlox sealer, General Finishes walnut glaze, and...

Read this entry »


« prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 103 next »
1028 entries


DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com