LumberJocks

Another pile of pine

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by bandit571 updated 04-12-2015 06:21 PM 6 parts 9657 reads 18 comments total

Part 1: Part 2, a top is formed up

03-31-2015 03:08 AM by bandit571 | 7 comments »

Well, got the top almost flat on the “face side” the other day Used a scrub jack plane to get things down to almost flat, other than all them scalloped areas. Got out a little bit bigger, and wider jack plane. This time, it is used like a try plane, going at the diagonals to the grain, until all them scallops are gone. Top still wanted to bow up a bit, so I clamped that end down flat, and left it sit a while…. Well this evening, flipped the top over to work on t...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Part 3: mortise and tenons and dovetails, oh my!

04-03-2015 09:10 PM by bandit571 | 2 comments »

Floated down to the shop this morning. Actually felt like doing….something. Started off by cleaning the workbench off. Toolwell had filled up with who knows what. Couldn’t even stick a finger in there without finding the pointy end of a nail. So.. Looks a bit better? As for the trash.. Somewhere in there, was a plastic foot one nails onto the ends of a leg. My shoe found it, of course. Well after the removal of a nail… Got after the tenons that needed to ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Part 4: maybe a glue up?

04-04-2015 05:17 AM by bandit571 | 3 comments »

Well, mosey back down the steps to the shop, GrandBRATS had showed up, and were acting acting…LOUDLY. Time for me to disappear… Got the rest of the mortises chopped out. Went fairly fast, too. I then set about adding the rebate for the plywood shelf. Nothing too hard about it, at least for the short stretchers Just set the Wards #78 to about 1/2” width, and a 1/4” deep. Checked the depth with a combo square on the plywood itself, too. As for the two lon...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Part 5: Top and a shelf

04-05-2015 03:57 PM by bandit571 | 1 comment »

First off….HAPPY EASTER! Well, added some cleats to hold a top in place, and act as “kickers” for the drawers. Cut around to get past the legs, and went to screw them in place…...something was a might off. Well, got the cleats on the ends installed , and a center cleat. Center cleat had to move a bit to line up? Ok, plopped the base onto the top. Placed a screw into each center line hole. Grabbed a LONG pipe clamp, and set it up at a diagonal. The idea...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Part #6...Drawer Wars!

04-07-2015 05:15 PM by bandit571 | 1 comment »

Every time I go to make drawers, a war breaks out. Mainly fighting a router, a guide bushing that doesn’t want to go together, a too short dovetail bit, and trying to make a jig WORK the way it was supposed to. Had the router apart, figured I could assemblr the guide a little easier…..NOT! Kept wanting to crossthread.. FINALLY got it in place. Router bit is as far out as it is safe to use. Cranked the bit down to almost where it was needed to be. Try drive was VERY n...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Wrapping things up, I hope

04-12-2015 06:21 PM by bandit571 | 4 comments »

Well, last seen, that Island Project needed a door installed. Boss brought home a pair of oversized hinges of brass plated slendour. Then we went back out and found a magnetic catch to hold the thing closed. First off, the installed door.. Plywood had bowed a bit, in the wrong directions. Block plane to shave a few spots. Tried the catch at the top near the knob….didn’t catch. Ok, we’ll try at the bottom. Got the magnet part on. and the plate on…..F sty...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com