LumberJocks

Shaker Style End table

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by bandit571 updated 03-16-2015 03:42 AM 6 parts 9332 reads 20 comments total

Part 1: Part #2 The top

03-06-2015 02:27 AM by bandit571 | 4 comments »

Well, did a bit of saw work today. Figured up I needed 3 boards @ 3/4” x 5-1/2” x 25” Circular saw did the work, after I had clamped the 8’ long plank in place. Had enough left over to form the back apron. Dry fit in the pipe clamps, looks good, spread some yellow glue around and clamp them up. Later, after the glue had cured, started to surface the top. A few handplanes to do the job. Had some “marks” on one board that needed to go… ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Part #3 Mortise & Tenons...and aprons, too

03-07-2015 03:19 AM by bandit571 | 2 comments »

Well, rested up most of the day. Towards evening, got a bit busy down in the Dungeon Shop. Decided to try to mill some tenons on the three main aprons. The two sides and the back one. The front will get something a bit different…tomorrow. Laid out some lines on the ends of an apron. Set up the #78 to take maybe a 1/2” wide by a hair under 1/4” deep cut…Couple clamps to hold the board still, while I scrubbed away the waste. Found out that I needed to #1:...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Front legs get joineried

03-07-2015 06:57 PM by bandit571 | 4 comments »

I guess that is the word for this tool-foolery in the shop today… Sat the base unit onto the floor, needed a few things off of it Needed one leg. That way I could do a bit of layout. Marked where a dovetail was going to go. Clamped the top rail into the vise, marked a few lines, and grabbed a dovetail saw. Seems I needed both of the Gents saws I have, as this one is for rip cuts, the other works as a cross cut.Needed a chisel to get rid of the waste. This time, that ma...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Glue ups. Just glue ups

03-08-2015 11:48 PM by bandit571 | 5 comments »

And maybe a Dutchman, too. Got the top over to the cleaned off (!!!) workbench. Worked on fitting the two breadboard edges to almost no gaps. Add some glue, clamp it down Until the gaps close up. Since this is a three board top, I used three 5/8” brads, in the center of each board. Set the top aside. Almost tripped over the Shop Cat He is looking a little digusted with me, I am interrupting his Mousing, Ok, top is out of the way for awhile. Took apart the base, and...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Getting things ready for a drawer..

03-15-2015 04:19 AM by bandit571 | 2 comments »

Well, thanks to being allowed back at my “day job”, not too much has been done. I did get the stretcher glued into place.. And the front and back edges of the top jointed down level with the bread board edges Let the glue set up for a day or two ( Doctor visits and tests ) then attached the top. I figured it would be easier to do it now, rather than wiggle in past the runners for the drawer. Got the front of the drawer sized and fitted to the table. So I decided to...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Drawer build, and a start of the finishing

03-16-2015 03:42 AM by bandit571 | 3 comments »

GrandBRATS screaming, and a-fightin….too much noise upstairs, time to retreat to the Dungeon Shop, and LOCK the door behind me…. Weeeelll now. Decided to build that drawer. Cut the sides to size. Then set up the router table to cut some grooves. Had to clear all the junk off of it first. Set a 1/4” straight bit. Set up the fence with a pair of clamps holding it in place. Tried a piece of scrap, first, just in case… Ok, that is set up and waiting…a...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com