LumberJocks

Dealing with a blank wall

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by bandit571 updated 02-21-2021 02:24 PM 10 parts 5778 reads 8 comments total

Part 1: A plan is needed..

02-07-2021 03:25 PM by bandit571 | 0 comments »

Just put in a brand new toilet in the bathroom…..and still need some sort of storage spaces….there is the wall right behind the new “pot”..... Yeah, I don’t like that green paint, either….anyway….I thought about hanging a cabinet above the pot….like where those red lines are. I’d have to leave access to that light switch….and the corner is… Not the best place….however…I could leave a little space between the...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Dados!

02-08-2021 02:57 PM by bandit571 | 0 comments »

Seems to be the way to put parts together? Could have done the Dados with the latest Stanley 45…..waiting on cutters for it, though. Tried and true way? Lay out where they are to go… Then, set the blade height on the tablesaw. Check the mitre gauge that it is square to the blade….and then make a bunch of cuts ( my tablesaw can’t use dado blade sets) trying to leave the lines.. Was about here, I found out mitre gauge was 1 degree out of square…fix...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Spreading some glue around

02-12-2021 07:32 AM by bandit571 | 0 comments »

Monday was shop closed day….supposed to be, anyway….got to thinking ( dangerous, I know..) about how to actually glue that mess up….decided to do a dry fit, and see what I could come up with… Thought about laying it flat like this….2 problems…..one was getting clamps UNDERNEATH each joint….and 2… Where the top was to be…there was nothing under it….but the floor…..and finally…the bottle of glue was still upstairsR...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Clamps came off, start on the doors

02-13-2021 03:43 AM by bandit571 | 0 comments »

Lets see, when last I saw that case.. These things were ready to get removed…so.. had an issue of course…that skinny shelf, WAS indeed flush with the front of the case, just like the rest were..however It was sticking out the back of the case…not good….grabbed a pair of clamps.. Clamped the case to the tablesaw…and grabbed a plane… And planed the excess off…took a while…see through shavings always do…then needed a place to s...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Beads and Grooves..

02-14-2021 01:49 AM by bandit571 | 1 comment »

ran the parts through the saw…to thin them down to 3/4” thick….means a thin push stick was needed.. Nothing fancy…but it keep my fingers away from that spinning blade…After letting these sit a day, came back and sorted through the mess.. Think I found two nice long ones, to cut into rails… And 4 that should be good enough for the stiles….they did need trimmed a bit, and to where they matched each other….one way would be.. gang them u...

Read this entry »


Part 6: A Mitered what?

02-14-2021 06:28 PM by bandit571 | 5 comments »

half lap joint…that also involves a mitered corner…Tools.. Lay out work… These 2 miter saws,,, But, that miter cut only goes down half way….then another saw takes over.. At least with the rails…some needed a chisel for clean up.. Once the 4 rails were done, time for the stiles to get halfed… On the non-beaded face…. Tablesaw this time around….I could creep upwards, until these matched the rails Then the mitre gauge on the...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Panel raising

02-16-2021 08:30 AM by bandit571 | 0 comments »

Got the two panels un-clamped. Beltsander to get most of the glue joints flat…then a jack plane took over… One panel wasn’t too hateful to do…it was the second panel that had issues.. And this was it’s good side…..Even going at a skew.. It still wanted to fight… Had to rotate the panel to get it to stop the tear outs…..Was a busy day for the plane.. Finally, both panels were presentable. Marked them for square on one end. Tabl...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Build a door 101

02-17-2021 02:07 PM by bandit571 | 1 comment »

or two…Was thinking of a way to clamp the corners …flat…Settled on a couple wooden pads, and a c clamp for each corner..went to the shop (on a Monday?) and made a bunch of pads up.. Just scraps of cedar, cut into pads just big enough to cover the corner joint….all the glue goes into that corner…So…tried this method out…3rd hand to help hold the stile still, long enough.. Spread some glue…add the two pads and a c clamp I had preset.. Ok,...

Read this entry »


Part 9: Door #2 done...problems arise

02-20-2021 02:34 PM by bandit571 | 0 comments »

Yep, Door #2 came out of the clamps looking great… Even the inside looked better… Figured I could set both doors on the case, just to see how things would look… Hmmm…something wasn’t quite right…tried to set both doors..but they would not line up with either the top or bottom shelves AND the sides of the case….got to checking the case itself…..1/4” out of square…grrr. Decided to at least install one door…Hinge tools...

Read this entry »


Part 10: Almost done,handles, latches, and and a stain

02-21-2021 02:24 PM by bandit571 | 1 comment »

Had a series of tasks to do….remove the clamps from the doors…drill 2 holes for the two knobs… Glue and clamp into place…and let sit a while. In order to install these mounting brackets… I had a problem, again… Bracket at the bottom was easy enough to do…pilot holes, even. Towel rod was a bit in the way, mehBut to do the top bracket…inside the case, underneath the top of the case… The drill will not fit here. So, while t...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com