LumberJocks

Using up Leftovers

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by bandit571 updated 08-07-2020 03:05 PM 8 parts 3657 reads 2 comments total

Part 1: Start, stop, and start again...a project delayed

07-27-2020 05:02 AM by bandit571 | 0 comments »

Started out as just a Project for July….take what was left over from the last projects…resaw the “scraps” down into something more useful than Fire Pit Kindling… Mainly cut-offs from too long of Ash planks..had some Pine scraps, too… Resaw….Set the 1×4 x 6’ Pine aside. Set up the tablesaw to cut a kerf centered on the other boards…and ran all I could through the set up, doing all 4 edges…Tablesaw set-up…blade as hig...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Back to work, one hour at a time..

07-27-2020 05:46 PM by bandit571 | 1 comment »

Rearend was getting numb from setting all the time…decided to at least try a bit of shoptime…1 hour limit, or until I got too tired….Pine 1×6s got cleaned up this end was too chewed up to save….cut it off square with a handsaw. Ash? Well, 4 blanks of Ash, and two of pine….choose the better of the 4 Ash boards for a glue up.. Despite the knots, this will get glued up into a blank for a lid… Set this aside to cure…small parts? 6 drawe...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Sunday, Busy Sunday..

07-29-2020 02:23 AM by bandit571 | 0 comments »

Well the last episode was spread over 2 one hour shop days….Saturday was Rust Hunt Day….. Saturday also saw a little shop time….Got the saw cleared off….side panels removed from the clamps. tablesaw to square them up, until they matched each other… Then cut a 1/4” plywood piece for the “bottom” of the case…set these aside…Drawer front blanks….top row of drawer will be a bit narrower than the bottom ones… So, as ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Sunday, Part 2..

07-29-2020 05:52 PM by bandit571 | 0 comments »

Ok, after Lunch Break….I finished the 2 dados on the case’s bottom panel… There was a problem….these were to be on the OTHER side of the panel….not a deal breaker, but…sheesh. At least the sides will sit on a shelf, rather than the plywood panel….The Pine panel was next…it goes between the drawers, so, I can do both faces, no problem, right? Things were a bit thin…panel is already 1/4” thick… Dados: Tablesaw makes a se...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Catching things up

08-01-2020 06:28 PM by bandit571 | 1 comment »

Little work sessions this past week….was having better luck at the yard sales…Tuesday…glue was spread…clamps and cauls applied… More like a clamp convention.. The next day…slowly removed the clamps….and hope for the best.. halfway…nothing flew apart…always a good sign…clamps came back later… As the last of the storage box’s sides were glued in place…and a bit of the face frame parts… That also h...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Building drawers

08-03-2020 02:23 AM by bandit571 | 0 comments »

Today, spent two one hour sessions in the shop. First hour (forgot the camera) was about removing the clamps from the case… And then get all them parts milled to make the drawers. Those ridges were planed off with a #4 smooth plane…sides were milled for width and length… Plywood for the drawer bottoms was cut to size. 6 drawer backs were milled to size. Drawer sides needed to rebates, one on each end,,, The ones in the back are for the thickness of the drawer...

Read this entry »


Part 7: catching up, again

08-06-2020 03:30 AM by bandit571 | 0 comments »

Been a lot of 1-2 hour sessions lately….late night trips to the shop…that sort of thing..Last 2 drawers were glued up..Had two drawers and the lid sitting in the clamps all day.. Lid has Bread Board edges, now Decided to return to the shop about..midnight..to check on the glue ups…when I came back upstairs, it was after 0100 in the morning…both drawers were out of the clamps, cleaned up, and fitted to their spots.. And..the lid dry fitted to it’s new...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Hardware arrived, and the stain, too

08-07-2020 03:05 PM by bandit571 | 0 comments »

Hardware arrived 2 days ahead of schedule….then went out and bought a fresh 1/2 pint of Minwax “Gunstock” stain, and a few brushes….we have work to do… Final sanding on the drawers, and fixed one drawer divider…then handles… I tried that tiny bit in the eggbeater…bit got stuck….chucked into the cordless drill…continue on…little ratcheting screwdriver to driver those TINY screws, after I had rubbed the threads with that o...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com