LumberJocks

A Paul Sellers' Box build

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by bandit571 updated 01-22-2020 11:52 PM 8 parts 3166 reads 17 comments total

Part 1: Start up...PLANS!

01-14-2020 09:17 PM by bandit571 | 3 comments »

Paul Sellers is doing a Masterclass project. I downloaded the plans from his site, to see IF I can build one, out of Ash. I had a stash of 4/4×6 x 54” Ash planks.. And figured one of these 8 planks might be enough…Plans? Well, it is a box with a drawer in the bottom half. Through dovetails at the corners. Drawer uses half blind ones.. And…there was even a cutting list! hauled one of the better planks to the shop… had to sit it here, as t...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Thinning the stock

01-15-2020 02:00 AM by bandit571 | 0 comments »

Well, let the Lid/Base sit a while…other parts can be worked on. One of the 2 longer parts will make the front of the box….bottom half is to be the drawer’s front, yet match the upper half. Then they also have to match the “height” of the back, and the ends. First, the better looking edge on each board was jointed straight…at least enough to go along the fence of the tablesaw…Boards are just under 6” wide….I need them down to 3-1/2&#...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Thinned stock, dovetails, or

01-17-2020 03:23 AM by bandit571 | 2 comments »

How I hate doing tails first. First off, needed all the parts thinned to 1/2”...or close enough to it.. Couple needed jointed…so that they matched each other for width.. Used 2 planes…a WR #62 as a jointer, and a Millers Falls V-line smooth plane. Sides are smoothed, width jointed, ends squared up…and one board cut into a pair of 5” long “End” pieces.Also found a couple pieces to make the drawer back and sides out of…Took a day off...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Feeling groovy

01-17-2020 10:34 PM by bandit571 | 2 comments »

Today’s one hour shoptime ( plus Laundry Detail.) was to get some grooves made…first one was the easier of the bunch…as long as I set it up for the correct edge.. More of a rebate, but was needed for the floor board to sit in… Because this sits above the drawer opening…the rest of the grooves were almost in the middle of the boards…had to slide the fence way out… AND, make sure I “pulled” from the right direction….first gro...

Read this entry »


Part 5: From one glue-up to the next..

01-18-2020 07:18 PM by bandit571 | 4 comments »

Box came out of the clamps, this morning…..always a good sign, when things don’t fly apart when the clamps are removed….then a lot of clean up began… Was trying NOT to break the corner joints. Plane and a sander….leveled things at bit, checked for square, corrected as needed…Laid this onto the base, and centered it up…..pencil line to show where it will sit. Whew. Pencil lines were also to keep the round-overs from going too far…Yep, wi...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Lid and a drawer...part one

01-21-2020 02:15 AM by bandit571 | 1 comment »

Ok, box is out of the clamps….nothing flew apart…still need to fix a few items.. Need to fill…..will later, when I am feeling a bit better…Lid blank was cross cut to rough size, first a cross cut.. Tried to get the best behaved chunk, from the plank.. After Chris planed all the planks down, nice and smooth. Turned out this was tapered a bit…mark one straight line, plane to it, tablesaw to rip the other edge parallel….and checked the ends for squ...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Lid and a drawer, part 2

01-22-2020 04:41 AM by bandit571 | 2 comments »

Let’s see, where was I…well, front of the box needed some work..Then something about hinges needing installed… Not really my strong suit….rebates on the ends were too narrow, had to widen them, to match the top of the box..Wasn’t much I could do with the miss-cut groove…. Drawer was having issues….needed to add a shim along the top edge of the front.. Glue and clamps..sit for a while..glue not working….added a few brass nails, and the...

Read this entry »


Part 8: PIP time...

01-22-2020 11:52 PM by bandit571 | 3 comments »

Can of stain has been stirred up, and used. Couple trouble spots fixed. Hinges were re-located….yeah, about time to show off a bit…I added some “feet” to the bottom of the box… Nothing fancy, though…Hinges were moved a bit.. With the result that they can prop the lid open…next, was the drawer’s problems… Had to plane a bit, to get a better fit, without it getting stuck…There used to be a square hole, beside the right top ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com