LumberJocks

Just a simple little box...

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by bandit571 updated 04-23-2016 02:56 AM 4 parts 3997 reads 13 comments total

Part 1: start up.

04-20-2016 01:23 AM by bandit571 | 5 comments »

Although the Stanley 45 is just about all cleaned and shiny, that box is just about a lost cause….way too many cracks, a repair used the wrong wood. Sooo, I went out and bought some 1/2” x 5-1/2” Poplar. about 5’ of it. Laid out a few crosscuts. two to make the sides of a new box, and two for the ends. An older Sears Craftsman ” Special saw” was taken down from the hook, a little wax of the teeth, cuts were done. I clamped up the two matching ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: The other corners get their turn..

04-21-2016 03:53 AM by bandit571 | 1 comment »

Well, had a heart monitor on for a few days ( taped the electrodes on, and they got ripped off…OW!) Did a short rust hunt. Couple of coping saws needed new blades…spent $2 on each saw. Already had the blades. Stopped at the Green Borg ( Menards) and got a few pieces of hardware. new brass hinges, a new “Olde Brass” Latch, and a few bags of brass screws…..NOT phillips headed ones, either. I got the ones with the slotted, oval heads. Anyway…..got b...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Grooves, a top, and more grooves

04-22-2016 12:03 AM by bandit571 | 3 comments »

Well, was able to sneak downstairs to the shop for a few minutes this morning….figured out how to make a skinny board get wide enough to make the top of this box. Lengthwise, was twice as long as I needed, no biggie. Mark a line at the mid point, square it (almost) across, and cut the line. Then, I need to know how wide the panel needed to be…..a few marks later, a rip cut, and I had two pieces ready to glue up. Spread a bit of glue, rub the joint back and forth a couple t...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Getting close to a finish line, now

04-23-2016 02:56 AM by bandit571 | 4 comments »

But, had quite a bit of work to do first.. Lid came out of the clamps..voids on the ends filled. Gaps filled and sanded. Had one filler piece pop out, back into the clamps it went. Got set up for the bottom rebate, used a Wards 78 to mill it. Had to milled a few grooves to add the cutter storage dividers. Needed two narrow dados. Thought I’d try the 45 to cut them…. Couldn’t get the skates close enough. Could only get one of the spurs to move. Square and...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com