Blanket Chest Project #14: Day #16 (already?)

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by bandit571 posted 11-20-2020 02:52 AM 389 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 13: Day 15... Part 14 of Blanket Chest Project series Part 15: Day 17..time for a PIP? »

thanks to some shopping the other day…we now have some hinges to install….and a box of planks for later, after the finish is done…

well, had to smooth things out on this lid, first…kept the hinges and some tools at the ready….

Ok, then marked out where the hinges would need to go…to avoid some spots in the rails where the rail and stiles meet…Hinges also need to have the “barrel” facing down…means a few extra chops..

Router plane to level things out. Screws that came with the hinges are a bit too long. Grinder to shorten them, and grind a new point. Yankee push drill to make a pilot hole…

One hinge installed….then switch the lid around, and install the other hinge….about ready to install on the box?

Means this will have to be moved to the floor, to where I can work on the hinges…mark a line or three where each hinge will go…chop a bit with a chisel,,,router plane to level things out..

Then a few test fits, to see how well it closes, had one spot a little tight, spokeshave that off, try again..

It at least closes up, flush with the rails. Ok…set a strip of scrap along the top edge of the back rail…set up the corded DeWalt #610 router…and “buzz” an area for the piano hinge to land. Chisel and a #78 plane to finesse things flat….don’t want to kink the hinge….

marked out for the army of screws…scratch awl to start a few holes…Yankee push drill for the pilot hole…..
Snap! At least there was just enough sticking up, that I could remove the broken bit, with a pair of visegrips…grrrrr

Drove a couple of screws, used a VIX bit to start the rest….and got all of the rail side of the hinge done..sat the chest back on the tablesaw, for now..

I had already done a sample of the stain, on a scrap of ash..

So…I stirred up the contents of the can, got out the brush…

And stained the entire insides, including the lidded box….except for the plywood bottom….rather not have any smelly finish there. That box of planks?

$30 a box….cost more than I spent on the Ash…

Once the insides are finished up…I can come back, and line the floor with Aromatic Red Cedar planks…

Will be on the lookout for a mortise lock of some sort, to latch the main lid into place….debating on handles for the ends…but NOT into the raised panels…

Stay tuned….only a month to go…

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

2 comments so far

View Dave Polaschek's profile

Dave Polaschek

6205 posts in 1498 days

#1 posted 11-20-2020 03:39 AM

Pilot holes and snapped bits… I’ve taken to buying 3/64 and 1/16 bits a dozen at a crack on eBay and just expecting I’ll snap one every now and again. Got a nice brad awl somewhere, but it’s buried under one of the piles of stuff…

-- Dave - Santa Fe

View Sylvain's profile


1111 posts in 3415 days

#2 posted 11-20-2020 03:30 PM

what about using a nail; it shouldn’t snap.
It might bend but it is cheap.

look here at tip#3 at about 1’34”

-- Sylvain, Brussels, Belgium, Europe - The more I learn, the more there is to learn

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics