LumberJocks

Shop Cabinet build #11: We have hinges!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by bandit571 posted 04-02-2020 04:00 AM 348 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 10: Clamps came off, build-a-door #2, and other stuff Part 11 of Shop Cabinet build series Part 12: Plugs done, latches installed, stain applied »

Got to the point I just had to get out of the house..can only stay cooped up so long. So, mail a box out, then head to Lowes for a bit…even had the van’s window down a bit….enjoyed the fresh air, as it were….

Anyway, bought 2 hinges. 30” long. With TINY screws…We have ways…

Had some 1” screws I could add in, about every 4th screw. Had the driver for the screws, another with a VIX bit…

Needed a way to set the doors open, while I attach the hinges to the case. Ataaching them to the doors was easy, just lay the door on the bench…but…I needed a way to keep the door even with the top of the case…so

A 1×4 scrap was screwed down to the tabletop. !x4 is the same thickness as the foot pads under the case. Left side was the easy one…the right side?

For one thing, there is no tabletop here. A 1×10 was screwed to the case.. and a clamp added to keep it there..

Installed the right hand door first…instead of the tiny screws, or the 1” screws…about every third one was a 2” long coarse thread screw…to better hold up to the door’s weight hanging off of the case..

had to move a couple planes out of the til, so I’d have a better angle to install the screws..

Right side installed…now for the left. It needed a bevel along the non-hinged stile….set the door onto the shelf under the bench, added a clamp to keep it there..one at the “far end”

Another clamp to hold the near end..

Because that handplane was going to do the bevel..

I leaned the lateral all the way over, to try to get the bevel set. LOTS of shavings…still needed the beltsander to fine tune things…then added the hinge, and then installed the door to the case…

While the left door was standing open..added the chisel rack..

Including that pine strip for the blades to rest against….while drilling a few pilot holes, drill bit skipped out, and tried to drill my left thumb! Was promptly placed in the nearest trash can…..since it had also bent.
Bandsaw to cobble a blade keeper for a handsaw….then install the hanger for the saw..

A little fresh DNA on the hanger. Then the fun began…trying to get both doors to shut….sander to adjust the bevels on both doors…

Handles were installed, and a Hook & Eye latch ( for now, until I find one I like better)

Will keep adjusting the fit of the doors. Need to mill a few dozen plugs of Pine. Finish? Hmmm

Let things age naturally? Add a Stain? Prime & Paint?
Stay tuned, need to fill the doors up will tools, too…( might have enough?)

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use



1 comment so far

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

7070 posts in 2933 days


#1 posted 04-03-2020 09:46 AM

Good work Bandit

Made some thing similar in Mar 2011, and its about the same size, I had all the same problems with alignment as well

I will have to see if I can find a picture for you.

Hey I went out myself today on the way back I found a disused lawn mower dumped on the footpath

Brought it home and spent about half an hour on it and got it running.

I managed set off the smoke alarms in the garage when it first fired up but it ran OK after all the smoke had cleared and did a test mow with it.

Result: Its a keeper my kids are going to kill me when they find out! Mower no 3 junking up the place!

-- Regards Rob

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com