Another box build #4: One of THEM days....

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by bandit571 posted 11-15-2018 07:37 AM 699 reads 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Mortise, tenons, and glue...oh my Part 4 of Another box build series Part 5: Thursday's Misadventures »

Didn’t start out too bad, though…...but the longer I stayed in the shop, the worst things got….and the high the cussing levels went…..enough to make even a CPO blush…..

Ok…first up, time to remove this, from the clamps

I think it has been sitting long enough….spread more glue around, “recycle” the clamps…

And set it aside….where it won’t fall over….cleaned the first glue up and checked for square….one end was “out” a bit…simple fix, square to mark a line, plane to remove the excess lumber…

Easy part of the day was done. laid this onto the bench..and watched it rock a bit….beltsander, and a couple planes to remove the high spots, block plane to clean up the “low” spots..

That the #62 and the #3c were skipping over…finally got things flat, square, and cleaned up….time to mess it up..

A plane stop, a clamp, and a clamping pad….and the Stanley 45…still set up as a groove plane..

This groove is part of a Tongue & Groove corner joint. Front and back get a groove, the ends get a tongue. Helps align the corners during a glue up…End’s stiles are narrower, so when they meet the front or back stiles, they blend in, to match the width of the front or back’s stiles.

Once the end panels are glued up, I’‘l mill the tongue….still have to cut the foot profiles….did that later today…
Ok, groove for the box’s bottom panel….needed extended..marked things out..

I already had done the rail, before the glue up….but, I don’t want the groove to show….tried a backsaw…and a sharp knife, a wide chisel, and a narrow one..

It gets real thin where the groove crosses over the one for the panel…had a bit of breakout…but..

When the bottom panel is in place, the breakouts are gone from sight….Set this aside…except to locate mortises..

Ok, after several checks and double checks..FINALLY settled on where the tenons were to start. Needed a better work light on the bandsaw, but..made these anyway..

Looks good? Not really…more on that in a bit…..Used the front/back panel to lay out a few mortises….chopped a few, enough to get a test fit….

Hmmm…not the best fit. Got to looking at the shoulder cuts on the tenons,,,not a one match any others…tenons were offset on a couple…...Used the tablesaw to trim them to match…! That was the sound of a tenon going airborne!....Grrrrr. Did NOT want to remake a new, double grooved rail from scratch….decided that since the tenon on the other end was just as offset…ping! the time all four rails matched each other, I had lost over an 1/8”.....which also meant I needed to trim the tenon and the haunch for length….to fit IN the just chopped mortises….grrrrr. I also had to trim the two panels that still needed to be “raised”...

Ok..this mess…..The rail with the MIA tenons was the bottom rail. I drilled through the stiles, right where the tenon should be…then counter bored a bit. The match cutter will be going over this spot…I don’t want the head of a screw to hit the cutter. Was test the connection out…decided to just go ahead and glue the mess up….already had one panel raised. Spread some glue, and a couple screws…clamp for the top…..then needed a clamp for the bottom. Hammer to “adjust” until things were square. Set this mess aside….dry fit the other end panel…after I get the other raised panel done…

That is a normal sized Mountain Dew can..for scale. This one was done in the vise. Was able to allow the planes to “ride” on the jaw, at the bevel angle needed…..saved me knuckles, that way. Dry fit?

Close…fine tuned it a bit…..was a tad wider than the other…decided to clamp things up as a dry fit…

But, where I could pull things square….try handling 5 loose parts in one hand, while tightening the vise with the other…..Again, hammer to adjust. Letting everything sit overnight…

Stay tuned..

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

6 comments so far

View sras's profile


5536 posts in 3938 days

#1 posted 11-15-2018 02:41 PM

Thanks for taking us along on your adventures! I rarely comment, but read every post…

-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

6956 posts in 4003 days

#2 posted 11-15-2018 03:05 PM

Keep after it, bandit…..Things don’t always go as planned, but you’ll get it….I too have been following along on the build…..Mistakes pave the way to perfection….!!

-- " There's a better way.....find it"...... Thomas Edison.

View bandit571's profile (online now)


26185 posts in 3492 days

#3 posted 11-15-2018 04:46 PM

Removed clamps this morning…one of the screws didn’t hold…..went from a worn 1-1/8 one to a 2” long NEW one…waxed the threads. Clamped to pull it back together, screw to keep it that way. Other end panel is now glued and clamped up…..didn’t need any screws for it….

May get some real shop time after a while….IF I return from taking the Boss to the store.

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

View CincyRW's profile


165 posts in 2459 days

#4 posted 11-15-2018 05:23 PM

oh man…. I’ve been in your shoes – when it feels like everything you do only makes it worse.

View NormG's profile


6506 posts in 3812 days

#5 posted 11-15-2018 07:54 PM

Wonderful project

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View NormG's profile


6506 posts in 3812 days

#6 posted 11-15-2018 07:54 PM

Wonderful project and I love the vice

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics