Shop storage projects #16: Top is done....

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by bandit571 posted 01-27-2017 12:17 AM 944 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 15: A back for the case, and... Part 16 of Shop storage projects series Part 17: A drawer is made »

So, I am getting close to drawer building time?

Ok, decided a 2 hour tour today would be about all this old body could handle….
Started to build the frame for the top….had a few things to “finesse” first. One end of the long rail was a bit too thick…..marked out where to remove the excess wood….bandsaw to remove the worst and a plane to smooth things out. The mitre cuts were a bit off, re-did those, and made sure the rails matched each other.

I found out that IF I set the parts upside down on the case….

That the rebates slipped right down over the edges of the case, instant square. Once each corner fit just right, a pilot hole was drilled, and a blob of glue added. Fitted back together, and a screw installed. Got this end done, and added a screw to hold the other end still, long enough to attach the other short rail. I also made a cross brace, and, since the frame was together, I could mark the brace for length. I cut a dovetail “tail” on each end, and then marked out where it went on the long rails..

Well, at least that hole will leave….I clamped the rail into the end vise, and used the backsaw to cut inside the angled lines. Then, I used a chisel and a mallet to remove the waste..

Then repeated on the other rail. Then a test fit..

Ok, add some glue, and install the brace.

not only does it help keep the rails from bowing out, it supports the top’s panel enough that I can stand on it ( BTDT)and is a place to glue and nail it down. I used a combo square to even the spacings on each end, and front to back. Got it close, pilot hole and counter sink for a 2” long screw. Got one corner set, and then worked my way around the “block”..

Ok, with the frame completed and installed, I could size a panel for the top. Cut for length with the circular saw, first. Then after marking for width, a trip through the bandsaw to remove the extra.

Checked for fit. Pop the panel back out, marked where all the holes and screws were ( kind of hard to see through the plywood). Then a bunch of Elmer’s was spread to wherever pine meets plywood…plop the panel down into the glue, and then nail it off. I also had marked the center of the crossbrace, and nailed it down, too.

Plane is there because the sash molding leaves a ridge. It was standing proud of the plywood panel. I planed away the ridge, and blended it into a more rounded shape with the molding….

I’ll come back tomorrow and cover these screw holes with a square plug ( walnut? Cherry? Hmm)and set all the nails into the plywood. Decided to see what it would look like, in it’s new home..

And, once that old, nasty dryer is out of there, the new, and improved storage center should fit right in there.

Also bought a few of these “feet” thingys..

Just nail these into the bottom of each corner post. I can add a shim, if needed, too.

Well, the next exciting episode will be about building some drawers for the case. Stay tuned…

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

3 comments so far

View Combo Prof's profile

Combo Prof

3992 posts in 1883 days

#1 posted 01-27-2017 03:08 AM

I am eagerly waiting the completion.

-- Don K, (Holland, Michigan)

View Miataguy's profile


156 posts in 1882 days

#2 posted 01-27-2017 12:46 PM

Coming right along….

View Ron Aylor's profile

Ron Aylor

2649 posts in 1253 days

#3 posted 01-27-2017 12:59 PM

Lookin’ good, Bandit … love the dovetailed rails … Get your Amish on!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics