Garden Chair #1: The Story & the Start

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Zuki posted 03-06-2010 01:02 AM 6297 reads 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Garden Chair series Part 2: Roughing it »

Hey all. I have not blogged much in a while now, but now I have a project that I call Garden Chair.

DW had this wooden chair given to her a few years ago. She loved the chair and used it out in the garden when she got a few spare moments to enjoy nature. Well after years of being outside it got a little worse for wear and started coming apart. She asked if I could put is back together for her to use as well as make one for her to use in the house. So there you have it . . . a project.

This is what the chair looked like when I took it inside before the snow fell this year.

I started disassembling it and notice this marking on the underside. Made in 1963.

After I got most of the pieces disassembled I made templates out of packaged pine.

I used a blue piece of bristol board for the seat template.

When I got to almost a complete state of disassemble DW was given another chair by the same person who gave her the original.

Got some more to disassemble and then gotta pick up some poplar and start roughing out pieces.

-- BLOG -

6 comments so far

View MsDebbieP's profile


18619 posts in 4726 days

#1 posted 03-06-2010 01:15 AM

what a beautiful little chair!!
someone is REALLY lucky to have you around!! :)

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (, Young Living Wellness )

View mtkate's profile


2049 posts in 3891 days

#2 posted 03-06-2010 01:17 AM

This is making me think of spring!

View OutPutter's profile


1199 posts in 4556 days

#3 posted 03-06-2010 07:46 AM

Hi Zuki, very timely project for me. I have two chairs to redo myself. Can you explain how you got the glue apart if there was any? If there was other joinery, can you explain how you got that apart also? Thanks in advance, I’ll be watching with interest.


-- Jim

View Zuki's profile


1404 posts in 4643 days

#4 posted 03-06-2010 02:03 PM

Well Jim . . .

Seat fell apart on its own.

Most of the other pieces were screwed together. Some screws were a little tough to remove. I would insert the screwdriver and tap it with a hammer to loosen the screw.

The dowels . . . lightly tapping the pieces with a wooden mallet (a piece of wood in my case) so as not to destroy the wood.

There are a couple of piece showing in the bottom photo that have very small nails inset in the wood. Not sure how I’m going to tackle that. :-)

PW had an article a couple of years ago that had a pretty detailed article on fixing chairs. If i can find it I will post the issue.

-- BLOG -

View jockmike2's profile


10635 posts in 4812 days

#5 posted 03-07-2010 02:51 PM

Nice job Zuki, not an easy job, making a chair, I’ve made two from scratch and know how frustrating it can get at times. Rewarding too. Very nice piece. Your a natural.

-- (You just have to please the man in the Mirror) Mike from Michigan -

View Beginningwoodworker's profile


13345 posts in 4239 days

#6 posted 03-19-2010 12:46 AM

Zuki, thats a cute little chair.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics