LumberJocks

Hand tool workbench

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Vance100 updated 08-08-2013 02:09 AM 4 parts 8537 reads 22 comments total

Part 1: Real Woodworking

07-30-2013 01:43 AM by Vance100 | 6 comments »

I’m building the workbench from Paul Sellers’ book. I’m using hand tools out in the front yard, planing “whitewood” stud 2×4’s from the blue big box store. If you have ever seen Paul Sellers on youtube, it should look familiar. The tools: I’m using a Stanley corrugated #4 that I purchased along with a Millers Falls #18 from a friend at work for $75. He tried to use them a couple times and couldn’t get them to make shavings...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Bench Top Glue-up

07-31-2013 02:47 AM by Vance100 | 2 comments »

I planed the suface defects off the faces of the 2×4’s and cut them to 74”. The width of the glued up lamination will be 12”. I am going to saw the length down to 72” when I’m done. I did find out I have trouble consistently cross-cutting a board square. To help myself out, I made a line down the side of the board instead of just across the top. I could then start off square by cutting along both lines and then sawing across as usual. This really improv...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Aprons and Bottom of Top

08-02-2013 02:53 AM by Vance100 | 6 comments »

I flattened the bottom of the top last night and started the aprons. I was a little apprehensive about flattening the underside of the top; I never flattened anything that size before. I did plane a small piece of walnut for a saw handle but I wouldn’t call that anything more than moving the plane across a scrap. Someone mentioned that using the #4 only might have been a little ambitious, so I decided to use a #5 Stanley, I picked up off the auction site for $30. After all IR...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Legs

08-08-2013 02:09 AM by Vance100 | 8 comments »

The legs were a new challenge, especially with hand tools. This process took me 3 days, working a couple hours a day. It was really tough to resist using my miter saw, but I did and learned a lot in the process. Picked up the 2×4’s for the legs. Used the same method to cut these to 36” length. The finished length will be 34”. I planed the mill marks off. Opps! I somehow cut one leg shorter than rest. Good thing I gave myself some room. I ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com