LumberJocks

Dual Miter Saw station

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Tooch updated 11-11-2016 09:48 PM 6 parts 10629 reads 27 comments total

Part 1: Base cabinets and vac hookup

08-17-2016 02:22 PM by Tooch | 5 comments »

In our shop (like many) one of the most frequently used tools is the miter saw. Coincidentally, it’s also the machine that seems to make the most dust. In order to keep the dust at a minimum, it was time to upgrade our miter saw station. The plan is to purchase a second saw, and have the 2 saws share a long, connected fence. So, I started with building base cabinets to hold the saws: As I previously mentioned, dust was always a big issue in our shop. To help aid in that, I purchas...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Adding the side wing cabinets

08-19-2016 03:08 AM by Tooch | 4 comments »

So my last work session saw a lot of good progress on this project, but we are far from done. I needed to finish a support cabinet on either side of each miter saw, as well as a small space to house the Oneida. Let’s start with the basic layout of the base cabinets And then we assemble and add stability: Angle brackets were made.with plywood and a pocket hole jig: A small support.in the bottom to prevent sagging…. After the cabinet went together, it was time to atta...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Clamp extension and finishing

09-03-2016 12:57 AM by Tooch | 4 comments »

Accepting the fact that I was not going to finish the entire job before shool starts, I decided it was most important to get a few coats of finish on the main cavities before the kids come back to school on Tuesday. I started with the top, as that is the most important and will require at least 3 coats. I went with Minwax Special Walnut stain, which so happened to win “Tooch’s favorite stain of the year” from 2005-2012. As the stain was drying, I took some time to a...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Prep for face frame, attaching the saw

09-03-2016 01:48 AM by Tooch | 6 comments »

Sorry to do back-to-back entries, but haven’t had much time to post anything for the last week. Anyways, I realized that this was going to get heavy use, and wanted to be able to reinforce the frame with something more than just glue. However, I did not think of that before I assembled each cabinet, so I was left to improvise: Some spots were harder to get in to than others… And don’t mind that extra large dado… The trim will cover that! After finishin...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Attaching the face frame

10-25-2016 01:08 AM by Tooch | 5 comments »

I have been trying to make progress on getting the face frame attached so that I can begin the doors and drawers. Unfortunately, it has gone slower than usual, which is why there has been such a long time between posts. I have compared this process to the Johnny Cash song “One Piece at a Time”, because on most days that was all I was able to do… One piece at a time. Anywho, the process was pretty straightforward: Cut pieces, glue, nail gun, pocket holes from the back. ...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Making/attaching the doors

11-11-2016 09:48 PM by Tooch | 3 comments »

After finishing the face frame, I knew it was time to build some doors to make the station look a little more complete and also keep dust out. Because of the shop vacs, the plan is to only build 5 doors, that way there will still be enough airflowfor the vacuum to work properly. The first step was to route a bunch of pieces for the frame. When cutting a bunch of pieces that need to be the same measurements, I find it’s easiest to stack them up and cut all at once. Afte...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com