LumberJocks

Dresser Build #3: Simple making drawer fronts and finishing the dresser

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by A Slice of Wood Workshop posted 12-16-2021 02:29 AM 599 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: The Drawers Part 3 of Dresser Build series no next part

Click here for the final build video

On the home stretch now we tackle making and finishing the drawer faces so each drawer gets a nice tight fit (plus a small trick I learned from The Wood Whisperer). This was a simple process that was also very quick to accomplish. With the drawer in place you measure the opening. Cut your drawer front to the exact measurement as it is easier to remove wood than try to add it. I also had two drawer holes that somehow weren’t 100% square so I had to make adjustments for that. When your front is cut you can place it in the drawer hole and make adjustments accordingly until you have a nice even gap all the way around. Use a spacer on the bottom to keep the top and bottom even. At this point you should already have your drawer hardware. Mark and then drill the location of your hardware screws ONLY through the front and half way through the actual draw side (front board). Now use some screws and attach the drawer front to the actual drawer. This should be one solid piece now. Pull the drawer out and then use 3 screws and attach the drawer front to the drawer by screwing it together from the inside of the drawer. When all is nice and tight you can remove the first two screws that you used in the area that the hardware is going to go. Next up is installing your handles (unless you are going to finish the drawers).

After the drawers are completed I move on to finishing the dresser. We decided to use a black semi-gloss paint. I started out by getting everything painted on the inside when I tipped the dresser on its side. I paid close attention to detail and made sure the pocket holes that were drilled were also painted so they didn’t stand out at all. Once the inside was all nicely painted with two coats I tipped the dresser back onto its base and got the rest of it painted. The drawers were just as simple and worked it with the same process starting from the inside and working outwards. I am still debating on using a clear finish on the dresser outside portions to give it a smoother feeling.

Well the dresser is now completed. There are no plans for this one as this was copied off the Ana White website, but I will soon be building a tall dresser that I don’t have any plans for and need to make some so I keep the scrap and cost low.

-- Follow me on YouTube- http://YouTube.com/user/asliceofwoodworkshop



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com