LumberJocks

Foley Belsaw 435 Scroll Saw base upgrade

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by That_Weird_Uncle posted 03-11-2019 12:04 AM 219 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I picked up a late 80’s Belsaw scroll saw for 50 bucks on craigslist. I lost my before pic so i nabbed this one just so you can see the base.

My saw needed some electrical work the hosing was cracked and i like to add a modular momentary switch socket so you can simply plug a footswitch into it and go if you want to use that instead of an on/off switch. Ill be doing a seperate update on the saw refurb. The other big gripe i had with this saw was the base is made of two large pieces of sheet metal that were bolted in place and folded. As you can imagine when you get the saw up to its full speed the large sheet metal sides would oscillate and make a lot of noise. On top of that there is no way to use the base for storage, so the base is essentially wasted space.

I started by cutting and gluing together a bunch of plywood i got for free (used to be concrete forms) into 2 3/4” thick slabs.

I then unbolted the sides from each other and build a frame that matched the inner profile of the sheet metal panels. The frame is nothing fancy i just held it together using pocket holes. The sheet metal panels bolted to some c channel steel feet so i drilled and bolted those back on and screwed the bottom to the c channel. The corner pieces of the frame were the trickiest as they were all at a 20 degree angle. I ripped a 2×4 on the table saw at the appropriate angle and cut them to length on the chop saw slid everything in place and screwed it together.

Next I cut the top plywood slab to size rounded over all corners with my router and cut some slots in it to accommodate the sheet metal sides. I went ahead and slid the top in place and oiled it up it rests on the frame internally and i secured it in place with 6 lag screws going through some holes in the sheetmetal that were there from the factory.


I next cut a sheet of 3/4 particleboard with a melamine veneer for the middle shelf and cut some of the plywood drop into strips to hide the face of the middle and bottom shelves. I rounded over the edges on those with my router sanded lightly oiled up then nailed them in place


For the back i cut a piece of 1 1/8” plywood (same concrete forms the top was made out of) and screwed it into the steel c channel foot and then into the frame i made that supports the shelves inside. In this picture you can more easily see the slots i had to cut in the top to accommodate the steel sides. I thought about just cutting the steel so i wouldn’t need to notch the wood but i wanted anyone down the line to have the ability to restore this to a completely stock stand if possible. The way i put this together i could very easily revert this machine to the manufacturer stock setup. the only change would be a few new holes in the c channel feet.

The last thing im doing to the stand is installing some feet i stole off of a copier. they are a nice hard plastic on a 1/2” bolt they will allow me to level the machine and will prevent the steel from scratching up my floor. Unfortunately i have to run to the hardware store to find some nuts since i don’t want to dig through my stockpile for the next 2 hours to locate some on hand. The only other change i might be making is to maybe use construction adhesive or silicone between my frame and the metal panels. I think that with the frame installed as it currently is will stop the vibration but if not a couple minutes with a tube of caulking will do the trick.


-- "The beatings will continue until the morale improves" --Grandpa



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com