LumberJocks

the broken carpenter #5: Dust Mitigation

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by SquintyPolock posted 12-16-2019 08:17 PM 719 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: 3 Part 5 of the broken carpenter series Part 6: To the Work Bench! »

Happy Holidays to all! It’s been a little while since I have posted; 3 years. It’s been so long that I had to reset my forgotten password! I’ve made some upgrades to the shop since my last post, 3 years ago. I constructed a rolling table for my portable table saw and a rolling table for my chop saw. I didn’t document those builds, but here a couple of pics from when I completed them in 2017. Tables were made completely from scrap lumber that I salvaged from a job site – they were building a house on my street. I took all the contractor’s scraps for workshop furniture. As I was building, it became clear why the first carpenter through these in the scrap pile – not a straight board in the pile. But, I was able to make things work. Both tables are outfitted with a shop vac and cyclone.

In all my reading about dust control operational issues, I elected to go with local dust control for each saw. The duct work seems both pricey and prone to clogs. I find even with the short runs of hose between saw and cyclone will easily clog with chips and dust.

The local dust control works great, when it’s working. I did not foresee the electrical issues. When I run the chop saw and the shop vac at the same time, I trip the breaker every other time. Especially, if I am cutting through some tough wood. Same issue persists with the table saw. Some simple wiring will address the problem, but since my shop is in the basement, next to the circuit breaker, it’s easier for me to just keeping turning the breakers back on. It’s even easier yet to just not turn on the shop vacs and let the dust fly. Poor options.

I will, one day, get to rewiring. So I set up an additional whole shop dust mitigation system that works pretty well. It consists of two pieces of equipment:

Make-up Air Unit #2

and Exhaust Fan #2:

I rigged the exhaust fan, so it can be pulled up out of the way to shut the door; also made with scraps.

Then, we have air filtration system #1:

I suppose I will deal with this unit when I get that re-wiring project.

Thank for giving me a read. It’s all in a days work. SP

-- It's all in a day's work...



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com