LumberJocks

Works in Progress

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Jerry updated 01-30-2014 02:25 AM 6 parts 29330 reads 19 comments total

Part 1: Humidor - and so it begins...

12-26-2013 11:11 PM by Jerry | 6 comments »

I was going to build a humidor for my brother in law, Raul, for Christmas, but at the last minute, I decided to hold off and consult with him to find out his specific desires. Good thing I did, now I’m armed with knowledge, a lot of great new tools to help me facilitate the task, two of which he bought me for Christmas. First this lovely Veritas dovetail guide and this great addition to my router plane, an inlay cutter head Just got back from Woodcrafters with some lovely ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Humidor test build - first pics

01-17-2014 02:35 AM by Jerry | 1 comment »

This is a picture of my first test humidor, obviously it’s a work in progress. I’m using box joints like this for it, and I am using the Freud box joint table saw blade set. I chose some cheap hemlock because I was not sure how well I would do. Aside from some tear out because my table saw jig was set up ( sawn through ) for 3/4” depth of cut, and now for the build I’m using 1/2” wood and depth of cut, it didn’t come out too badly. The tear out problem was...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Humidor Test Build - Day Two

01-19-2014 02:20 AM by Jerry | 0 comments »

In these first two pictures you can see I’ve managed to smooth out the box joints. I planed the end grain of the pins with the No. 4 and then sanded. I also needed to use the small block plane to even out the tops and bottoms so all the corners matched up correctly. I edge glued two 5.5” pieces together to form the slabs for the top and bottom. I used epoxy. Here they are sanded. Here’s a test fitting of the top and bottom, things are looking good so fa...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Humidor Test Build - Day Three

01-21-2014 02:52 AM by Jerry | 0 comments »

Starting to look like something now. Still needs a little more sanding and a nice finish before parting the top from the bottom. I had intended to do a fully functional humidor for this test, but I went to Woodcrafters today and found out that Spanish Cedar has skyrocketed, so since this is a test, I will probably make the liner out of some inexpensive wood and just make this a box. The wood is hemlock, and is very cheap, but I chose it because I liked the nice tight straight grain. It ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Humidor Test Build - Day Four - Some Japanese Joinery Technique

01-25-2014 01:48 AM by Jerry | 7 comments »

Well, I decided that even though it was too expensive to use real Spanish cedar for a test project, that I should go ahead and make a liner anyway like I would do if this was going to be a real humidor. I found a really cool solution for parting the lid from the box. I was not to happy with all the techniques I’d seen using a table saw, because I knew I would lose 1/8” to the saw kerf. Instead, I bought this nifty little 6 Piece Rotary Saw Blade Kit at Harbor Freight: http:/...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Humidor Test Build - Finished

01-30-2014 02:25 AM by Jerry | 5 comments »

I did not have time to post progress yesterday, but today I finished the humidor test build. My wife has absconded with it to hold her art supplies in, so it will not be getting a hygrometer. Before Hinges and before gluing the liner in Remaining pics show the completed project Top Bottom

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com