LumberJocks

Delta 46-715 Lathe Refurbish Project

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Sawdustonmyshoulder updated 01-18-2017 03:40 PM 8 parts 31507 reads 41 comments total

Part 1: Getting the Lathe Home and Mapping the Process

12-31-2014 03:38 AM by Sawdustonmyshoulder | 6 comments »

The Lathe Here is the lathe. I bought it on Craigslist and got what I feel was a good deal. I went to Nashville and picked it up on Saturday. My plans are to replace the AC motor with a DC motor and make the lathe variable speed electronically. Empty Head This lathe has no drive pulleys. The Reeves drive broke and all the parts were trashed. So the headstock is empty except for the spindle and the indexing pin. Motor The AC motor is good so I will put it on eBay and...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Tach, Toilet and Grinder

01-02-2015 12:46 AM by Sawdustonmyshoulder | 3 comments »

The tachometer came in yesterday. Now, I’m ready to start working on determining the pulley sizes. I did read, understand and follow all the instructions that came with the my tachometer. After putting the refective sticker on the flywheel of the motor, I was able to determine that the maximum speed of the motor is 6200 RPM’s. That speed is about twice as fast as I need it so my pulley ratio should be around 1:2. I found a pulley calculator online and I have an idea of the size...

Read this entry »


Part 3: A Couple of Pulleys

01-02-2015 10:20 PM by Sawdustonmyshoulder | 4 comments »

I bought the pulleys this morning and mounted the motor pulley on the flywheel only to find out it wobbled. BUMMER! The stub was about .005 too small. Well, I got another flywheel and reground the stub paying attention to stop grinding before I reached 3/4” and finish with a file. After drilling and tapping for the set screw, I mounted the 2-1/2” pulley and it runs sooooooo smooooooth!! Now, on to the driven pulley. I bought a 24mm split tapered bushing and a 5-1/2” p...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Indexing and Controls

01-08-2015 03:20 AM by Sawdustonmyshoulder | 1 comment »

After a battle with a head and chest cold and a woodworkers club meeting, I’m back working on the lathe. I found that at least someone is reading this blog. I heard from one of our Lumberjocks, Fred Borden, over the weekend. He has bought one of these little Delta jewels with trashed Reeves drives. Fred is persuing a little different tack on restoring his 46-715. I hope he will blog his journey and give us another option for these lathes. Well, I have to report Fred is a great guy...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Motor Mount and Indexing Pulley

01-11-2015 01:32 AM by Sawdustonmyshoulder | 1 comment »

Today was a good day. Received the indexing pulley from Fred Borden in the mail. Thanks, Fred. Installed it on the lathe and it works great. May need to be turned and trued up a bit. It must have had a hard life. No problem to do it. A friend needed a treadmill to be disposed of and wouldn’t you know it, it had a motor mount that I could use. After cutting the motor mount off the frame with a grinder, I put it on the motor and Shazam… it works perfect. I need to get a belt f...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Fire that puppy up for a test run

01-11-2015 03:36 AM by Sawdustonmyshoulder | 6 comments »

After mounting the motor and installing a temporary belt, I plugged in the controls and tested the lathe. It runs very well and smooth. I think it will run even smoother with a segmented v-belt. I’ll run to the auto part store tomorrow afternoon and pick one up. I hope they have one to fit. Here is a video of the lathe running. The maximum speed of the lathe is going to be 2865 RPMs. Not quite fast enough for turning pens, in my opinion, but fast enough for table legs and spindles. I...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Controls Done and Turning Zinc!!

01-20-2015 04:02 AM by Sawdustonmyshoulder | 14 comments »

The control box is done and mounted. I found a few things out the hard way. One was you don’t ground the motor controller. Man, the flash and the smoke! Well, that was a motor controller down the drain. Luckily, I had a spare. Upon a little research, DON’T GROUND THE MOTOR CONTROLLER’S HEAT SINK. The box I bought was aluminum, so I had to isolate the motor controller from the box. Nylon screws, washers and bolts was the solution to the grounding issue. I did ground the alumi...

Read this entry »


Part 8: It's done!!! Ready to start turning!!!

01-27-2015 01:46 AM by Sawdustonmyshoulder | 6 comments »

I got it done. The only thing I might do is paint the additional parts on the motor cover battleship gray. The scale was made with a clear self-adhesive shipping label. I got out my tachometer and made a test run and marked the speeds on the lathe. I then took a photo of this pencil scale head-on and laid out on my computer the scale. I made a printout and went to OfficeMax and they copied it on the shipping label for 68 cents. Can’t beat that! I put the switch for the DC ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com