Delta 46-715 Lathe Refurbish Project #3: A Couple of Pulleys

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Sawdustonmyshoulder posted 01-02-2015 10:20 PM 4322 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Tach, Toilet and Grinder Part 3 of Delta 46-715 Lathe Refurbish Project series Part 4: Indexing and Controls »

I bought the pulleys this morning and mounted the motor pulley on the flywheel only to find out it wobbled. BUMMER! The stub was about .005 too small. Well, I got another flywheel and reground the stub paying attention to stop grinding before I reached 3/4” and finish with a file. After drilling and tapping for the set screw, I mounted the 2-1/2” pulley and it runs sooooooo smooooooth!!

Now, on to the driven pulley. I bought a 24mm split tapered bushing and a 5-1/2” pulley. Since I have a Type 1 lathe, it requires a 24mm. I understand from articles, Type 2 lathes have the same size spindle but the Type 3 lathes have 22mm spindles as well as Type 1 and 2 lathes that have had repair kit pulleys and spindle installed. A quick measure with a set of calipers will verify the size.

I used the pulley calculator mentioned in earlier blog to determine the sizes of the pulleys and belt size. I should have about 2900 RPM top end.

The hand wheel was attached to the Reeves pulleys and since they are gone, I needed to devise a way to attach them to the driven pulley assembly. I sharpened the end of one of the old socket head screws and after positioning it in line with the split taper bushing, hit the end of the screw with a hammer and made a dimple on the bushing. I drilled and tapped the bushing for a 1/4”-20 screw. I reinstalled the bushing and the hand wheel and put in one socket head screw. I repeated the process for a second screw. I couldn’t drill another hole in the bushing because of the existing holes in the bushing so I drilled and tapped the hand wheel for a set screw. I did insert another socket head screw and attached it to the hand wheel for even weighting.

After positioning the driven pulley where it lines up with the motor pulley, I screwed the bushing and pulley together and mounted the hand wheel to the spindle.

In the photos you see the indexing pin. Since one of the Reeves pulleys had the indexing holes drilled in it, I don’t have the feature of the lathe. I will continue to look for at least the indexing pulley. If I can find it, I will have a place to attached the hand wheel and have indexing. If you have an extra 24mm outer pulley with the indexing holes, please message me.

On to the motor mount.

-- The more skilled you are at something, the worse you are at it when someone is watching.

4 comments so far

View Bill White's profile

Bill White

5234 posts in 4522 days

#1 posted 01-03-2015 04:59 PM

As the Pope said to Michelangelo, “When will it be finished?” :)
I want to use it.

-- [email protected]

View Sawdustonmyshoulder's profile


489 posts in 4189 days

#2 posted 01-03-2015 11:26 PM

And as Michelangelo said to the Pope, “It’s all up in the air. Who knows?”

-- The more skilled you are at something, the worse you are at it when someone is watching.

View Woodknack's profile


12945 posts in 2941 days

#3 posted 01-11-2015 04:46 AM

I don’t think many people use indexing pins, I don’t use mine; but you can make them.

-- Rick M,

View Pete_LJ's profile


112 posts in 1307 days

#4 posted 05-19-2016 12:28 PM

Thanks for the clear photos on your 46-715 repower project. I am about to take on the same conversion on my 46-715 but I think am going to try to use the 6 rib belt and the original pulley on the treadmill motor.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics