LumberJocks

Workshop build out #1: New Workbench, stage 1

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Savlaka posted 04-26-2021 11:56 AM 427 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Workshop build out series Part 2: New Workbench, stage 1 completion »

I’m building my new workbench, this project is being done in a few stages. The first is the primary bench top and legs.
This new bench is being made from various wood types. The top is decking “shorts” from my local H/W lumber yard – these are a mix of Ipe, Cumaru, tigerwood, ETC. The outer edge is Brazilian cherry (jabota).

I’m making it 2” thick, which I’ve found is more than enough for my uses. The top is laminated from strips cut from those decking shorts and stood on end before glueing. The primary top is 2’ x 4’ @2” thick with a 6” cutout as a tool tray. The tray will have a plywood bottom, and an insert that can be placed in the top to make a smooth surface when needed.

The legs and support frame are all made from pine. The legs themselves started as landscape timbers – the ones with the rounded edges on two sides. That I cut into 2.5”x 3” rectangular boards. The framework for supporting the top is 1×3 furing strips cut to 2 -1/4” and planed smooth. Then I cut some joints to make a pocket for the legs to seat in the frame. The legs were notched to provide a a shoulder to help lock the legs in their pocket.
The feet were made from the same landscape timbers, notched to fit the legs into.

I plan to glue the support frame to the top, along with some dowels to lock it in place. Up to this point I haven’t needed any fasteners to assemble anything, though I may end up using a few by the time the project is done.

27 apr 21 update:

I got more of the support frame glued up, and the feet attached. I ended up using a big screw through the bottoms of each the feet as a center clamp to get the feet to sit properly.

I’d glue it all up at once but I just don’t own enough small clamps. But the design allows me to align the longer supports and glue them in place, then come back and tap the cross supports into place afterwards.
Once the support frame is finished, I’ll fit the plywood tray bottom in place and them I’ll need to align it to the bottom side of the workbench top.

There’s one part I’ll need to build in now that won’t get used till I get to the third stage of this project, but needs to be built in now while there’s access to the sections needed. It will be a set of guides for the planned extension section, basically a channel made from a few strips of wood – and a solid wood block as the main guide / slide lock.



1 comment so far

View Savlaka's profile

Savlaka

16 posts in 23 days


#1 posted 04-28-2021 01:33 PM

The legs and support frame is assembled, and the top of the rails squared up – somehow I’m always just a little bit off once a project is put together.
I’ll add The extension support rails and then mount the top in the next few days… That and mounting the vice will complete stage one of this workbench.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com