LumberJocks

Under-workbench storage #5: Drawer fronts (cont.)

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Ross Leidy posted 01-24-2021 08:18 PM 629 reads 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Drawer fronts Part 5 of Under-workbench storage series Part 6: Finished »

After a brief vacation, I’m back in the shop and plugging away at the workbench storage cabinet. I’ve applied some waterbased poly on the interior of the one bank of drawers that are completed. (I still need to make a trip to Home Depot for another sheet of 1/2 birch ply to complete the other bank.)

After some test-fittings of the drawer fronts, even the small (1/16”) gap between drawers was glaring in the handle recesses (as Ron Stewart pointed-out in an earlier post). I considered using a veneer of dark wood on the front of the drawer box to reduce the contrast with the gap, but I realized even that wouldn’t fully disguise it.

So I took my cue from the inspiration credenza and painted the front of the drawer box black where it would be exposed in the drawer front handle recess. I would have preferred to roll-on the paint, but all I had on hand was a can of flat black spray paint. I think the black paint does a good job of disguising the gaps. I may need to paint a little inside the bottom of the cabinet where it’s exposed by the bottom drawer pull.

Another test-fit of the drawer fronts after they’ve had an application of Odie’s Oil. I love what that stuff does for the grain.



11 comments so far

View Ron Stewart's profile

Ron Stewart

270 posts in 3515 days


#1 posted 01-24-2021 09:02 PM

That’s going to be one nice-looking storage cabinet, Ross.

The black paint makes the recesses and gaps disappear. It’s an effective (and cheap—always a bonus) solution.

-- Ron Stewart

View MrWolfe's profile

MrWolfe

1471 posts in 1134 days


#2 posted 01-24-2021 09:12 PM

Great solution.
Its attractive enough to call it a feature and not mention the gaps.
Its coming along nicely!

View NewbieInWV's profile

NewbieInWV

29 posts in 1600 days


#3 posted 01-25-2021 12:17 PM

Nice project! Thanks for sharing. What method do you use to attach the fronts to the drawers so your gaps stay consistent?

-- Mike H, Elkins WV

View Bobsboxes's profile

Bobsboxes

1553 posts in 3675 days


#4 posted 01-25-2021 01:24 PM

Very nice looking cabinet, really like the design.

-- Bob in Montana. Kindness is the Language the blind can see and deaf can hear. - Mark Twain

View tt1106's profile

tt1106

237 posts in 4079 days


#5 posted 01-25-2021 01:28 PM

Very nice.

-- -Todd

View Ross Leidy's profile

Ross Leidy

224 posts in 2952 days


#6 posted 01-25-2021 01:41 PM

Thanks guys. I’m pleased with how it’s coming along.

To attach the drawer fronts, my current plan will be to first drill some pilot holes in the front of the drawer boxes. Then, starting at the bottom drawer installed and all other drawers removed, set the drawer front on the temporary spacers, clamp the drawer front to the box, then carefully remove the drawer with clamps in place, continue the pilot holes into the drawer front, then screw into place. Assuming that I can do this without anything shifting, it should work okay. I can do this for each drawer in succession until the top drawer where I won’t be able to use clamps. For that one, I’ll install some screws in the drawer box, protruding just a bit from the front face. Then, I’ll set the spacers and press the drawer front against the screw points to make the marks for the pilot holes. That’s the theory, anyway. I’ll be sure to report how that goes.

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

7137 posts in 4205 days


#7 posted 01-25-2021 05:22 PM

Sweet…...!!

-- " There's a better way.....find it"...... Thomas Edison.

View Ross Leidy's profile

Ross Leidy

224 posts in 2952 days


#8 posted 01-31-2021 11:20 PM

This weekend, I bought another sheet of 1/2 birch ply and completed the left bank of drawer boxes. I also got the drawer fronts installed on the initial set of drawers. It won’t be long before it turns from project into usable storage.

View Ross Leidy's profile

Ross Leidy

224 posts in 2952 days


#9 posted 02-02-2021 02:16 AM

This evening I finished up prepping the edged drawer fronts, so they’re ready to have the recesses cut. I had one too few strips of edging when I was gluing them up. I pieced the bottom edge for one of the drawer fronts with some scraps. No one but me will know it was pieced once it’s done. Well, me and all of you. :)

View Ross Leidy's profile

Ross Leidy

224 posts in 2952 days


#10 posted 02-03-2021 02:31 AM

Baby steps. I’ve completed the pull recesses on the remaining drawer fronts, so they’re ready for veneer.

View AJ1104's profile

AJ1104

1243 posts in 2670 days


#11 posted 02-08-2021 03:42 AM

The black was great choice. It came together real nice.

-- AJ

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com