LumberJocks

Jensen-style Z-Chair #2: Planning and Prototyping

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Ross Leidy posted 05-18-2019 02:41 AM 459 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Introduction Part 2 of Jensen-style Z-Chair series Part 3: A Jig Interlude »

My first thought was that I would try to find some plans for this chair on the internet. Nope. All I found were some plans for a really atrocious mockery of the design. Not even close to the proportions and style of the original. So, armed with some basic dimensions that I found here and there, a decent side-view photo that I could scale and trace to get the angles right (or close), and hours of google searches studying images of this chair for telling details, I set to work.

I have a CNC machine, and I’ll be using it to cut out many of the pieces. I loaded the chair side-view image into Vectric’s CAM program, scaled the image to make the height of the back 28”, and then started working on vectors to outline the side assembly. I was prepared to deviate from the original’s MT joinery by using puzzle-piece joints as shown below (I know, sacrilege). Primarily because I wanted to try it, but also because at the time I wasn’t setup to cut mortises for floating tenons. Ultimately, I abandoned this approach for aesthetic reasons and because I was concerned that the back-to-leg joint might be too weak. But, I used them for a plywood prototype that let me play around with proportions of the rails and seat before committing to real wood.

Plywood front leg and back stile:

Testing the fit of the joint with a scrap piece prior to cutting the long rear leg:

The long rear leg exceeds the bed size of the CNC, so here I’m “tiling” the cut, where as section of the leg is cut, then re-positioned to cut the next section. It takes 3 tiles to complete the leg.

This is the final tile. The dowels are used to index the piece as it’s re-positioned for each subsequent tile.

A good dry fit.

This was as far as I took the prototype. It helped me tweak the dimensions of some of the remaining pieces. I used dowels to attach the rails to the sides, which made me realize that I didn’t want use dowels. They were too fiddly for me with the drilling jig that I had. This is when I started seriously considering floating tenons and how I could make the mortises.



3 comments so far

View mafe's profile

mafe

12042 posts in 3477 days


#1 posted 05-18-2019 11:03 PM

Truly an inspiration.
Love the way you use the CNC.
Cobining the old and new.
Best thoughts,
Mads

-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.

View Ross Leidy's profile

Ross Leidy

51 posts in 2329 days


#2 posted 05-19-2019 01:07 AM

The CNC definitely exercises different skills – modeling, toolpath planning, creative hold-downs. I promise that all the slat sanding was done by hand, though. :)

View mafe's profile

mafe

12042 posts in 3477 days


#3 posted 05-19-2019 09:53 AM

Ha ha ha, I have never worked with a CNC, but would love to one fine day.
Woodworking don’t have rules, just ways, CNC is one of them.

-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com