LumberJocks

Giraffe Bookcase #8: Attaching the Legs

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Ron Stewart posted 04-03-2021 03:17 PM 245 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 7: Gluing the Case Part 8 of Giraffe Bookcase series Part 9: Painting »

The final woodworking step was attaching the legs to the case.

As with everything else, I used dowels. The front legs were straightforward. I used my JessEm jig as usual, because both the case and legs had square front edges to use as a reference for the jig’s indexing pin.

The rear legs were harder. Both sides were angled, so I couldn’t find a reference edge that worked for both the case and the legs. In the end, I drilled the case holes first, then used dowel centers to locate the hole positions in the back ends of the legs. I started by clamping a guide board to the case.

Then I kept the leg against the guide as I pressed it against the dowel centers to mark the holes’ center points. After that, I used my dowel jig to drill the marked holes and locate and drill the others.

My holes were off by about 1/16”, and I had to shave the dowels a bit to get the alignment right.

While test fitting the legs, I started worrying more about irregular gaps between the case and the legs, and about how those gaps might worsen due to seasonal wood movement. To avoid both problems, I decided to cut small (1/16” deep and wide) rabbets around the top edges of the legs to disguise the joints (and to create shadow lines in the finished piece, which I find visually interesting).

I used a straight bit in my router table to cut most of the rabbets.

The only problem was that I couldn’t use the table’s fence for the front edges of the rear legs. To do that, I cut a small notch in my 15-degree drill block and used it as a fence.

After some light sanding, the legs were finally complete.

The dowels held the legs in place pretty well during glue-up, and I used packing tape as clamps. (I couldn’t think of any good way to use actual clamps for the rear legs.) I used my aluminum drill press fence to check alignment.

I tried clamps on the front legs, but their weight pulled the legs downward, so I used packing tape for them too.

After I removed the tape, the legs were done.

In fact, the woodworking part of the entire project was done (except for gluing on the tail, which I would do after I painted the bookcase).

-- Ron Stewart



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com