LumberJocks

Hiss Drive Rover

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by RaggedKerf updated 10-19-2013 03:07 PM 6 parts 7138 reads 3 comments total

Part 1: Back to the Drawing Board

10-18-2013 12:32 AM by RaggedKerf | 0 comments »

Note: I thought I had published this post back in the summer—-I was wrong. So…only 3 months late, I post it now, in mid-October. To refresh your memory, here’s the first post on this long suffering project. Somewhere between my idea and my skills, between the New Yankee Workshop and the local dumpster, my hiss drive rover met its fate. It wasn’t the design’s fault, I’m sure of that. It will work. It has to. What didn’t work was my last minu...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Version 2.0

10-18-2013 01:24 AM by RaggedKerf | 0 comments »

With the approach of Comet ISON and the Mars 2014 apparition getting under way and me out of commission for the past 2 months with a back injury, I have been chomping at the bit to (1) get observing and (2) get cracking on the hiss drive rover. It’s been a few months since the last entry (which I thought I had published already but…oops…it was still a draft until tonight) but all the real progress has taken place in the last three days or so. To start, I constructed so...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Adding Support and Wheels

10-18-2013 09:36 PM by RaggedKerf | 0 comments »

Building off the early success of this project in it’s second incarnation, I started to dismantle the old telescope base and reuse the wood which, conveniently enough, was just the right size. First up, I ripped apart the top of the old base and installed those planks cross-wise on the bottom of the rover to give it lateral support. With the extra strength and weight of these planks, this thing already feels more stable than the old base! Once the slats were glued and nailed ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Attaching the Top Half

10-18-2013 09:39 PM by RaggedKerf | 0 comments »

I had planned on attaching the top of the rover to the base today…I really did. But alas….only halfway there. In order to attach the hinge in the right spot and allow the base to be uniform and not off center, I needed to shift the hinge to the side of the 1/2” plywood. That being the case, there’s not much plywood there on the edge for attaching hinges that will hold the top half of the base and a $350 telescope. So I improvised—-I attached a strip o...

Read this entry »


Part 5: The Lever, and Attaching the Top, Part Deux

10-19-2013 11:17 AM by RaggedKerf | 3 comments »

At last it was time to fabricate a handle lever to attach to the rover—-oh, and complete the installation of the upper half of the platform. As planned, the lever contraption will allow me to easily lift (critical now that my back has been injured and is on the mend) and move the rover/telescope combination.The idea was simple: cut two blocks of tubafore, round the top on both. Drill a 5/8” hole that lines up on both. Attach said blocks with glues and screws to the tongue of th...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Assembling the Drive

10-19-2013 03:07 PM by RaggedKerf | 0 comments »

Now the fun part begins. This project is all well and good as a telescope base (albeit one that opens up and has the potential to dump my yard cannon on the ground in a shattered mess)....but I designed it as a hiss drive primarily, and a telescope mobility platform secondly. It’s time to get drivin’. Going off what I found on the internet I gathered the following supplies: One inner-tube (a 14” non-highway trailer inner-tube from Menard’s I think). On...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com