Lego Table #7: Good progress

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by RaggedKerf posted 11-22-2015 07:58 PM 1564 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 6: Hybrid woodworking Part 7 of Lego Table series Part 8: Making Drawers...or one drawer. »

This post contains a lot of images—I’ve posted some here, but for the rest, please visit my woodworking blog)

Very productive nap time session today!

First order of business was to take advantage of the 65 degree weather and paint the play surface for the top. We chose a primary blue to cover the MDF. The kids have plenty of the green Lego baseplate’s, so blue should compliment what they already have. The MDF took the paint in three thin coats that ate the entire can. The coverage looks good—when it dries, we’ll see if I need another can.

Since I had everything already set up, I went ahead and painted the legs as well after a light sanding with 800 grit wet/dry paper to get the primer nice and slick. The paint went on in light coats, 15 minutes apart (just like the primer) and gave me a nice, solid, even coverage. Looking good!

While everything dried, I decided to lay out the draw slide locations on the center divider and add my shop-made slides (1/4” by 1/2” oak strip).

And here’s the other side:

With everything glued and nailed in place, I went ahead and attached the divider in it’s home, amidships on the top. It fit nice and snug just like before, and the pocket screws are holding it down so tight it’s not even funny.

I shifted gears and added little support chocks to the “wings” (the area of MDF on either side of the play area in the center of the top that will be removable, revealing little bins for the kids to sweep their Legos into). I made sure they were on level with the tubafore supports, so everything will be flush once the MDF is installed. You can see the extra support strip on the right side of the picture below:

Then it was time to drill a hole (using my second largest Forstner bit) in the center of the MDF. I made it 1.5” in diameter so the kids could get a couple fingers through, making it easier for them to remove the “wing” (no idea what to call these things…). MDF is a pain to clean up when you’re working (that fine dust is crazy, not to mention nasty) but man it cuts clean and smooth:

Next I dusted off my little trim router and set it up over the hole. I chocked in one of my father-in-law’s bits (thanks Jim!) and rounded over the edges of the hole for a ridiculously smooth finish.

It’s a little hard to tell, but that thing is extra nice. My wife cam out to check on me and whistled. If she’s impressed, I’m pleased. Here’s a parting shot of the “wing” in place, nice and level on it’s support.

With the weekend coming up and a family trip north planned, I packed up the shop and stuck the painted and primed pieces aside to let the dry and cure. Come next week, I’ll be getting serious about the drawers.

-- Steve

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics