LumberJocks

Contemporary TV Stand

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by RDR updated 04-24-2011 12:29 AM 4 parts 10541 reads 10 comments total

Part 1: Inspiration and Planning

03-15-2011 04:24 AM by RDR | 0 comments »

It’s time to get rid of our behemoth old entertainment center in favor of a smaller TV stand. In browsing fellow LJ projects I came across Looeyville’s effort here: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/14926 I really like it. And, I’ve heard that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so I figure straight out copying must be even better. So, I think that’s what I’ll do. But, I’m not sure what kind of joinery I want to use. My first thought was t...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Starting to build

03-19-2011 11:49 PM by RDR | 2 comments »

I decided to use a basic half lap joint on this project. I’ve never really used it before, so I wasn’t sure what the best way to accomplish it. I don’t have a dado stack, yet, and frankly I don’t trust the accuracy of my junk Skil router and homemade router table. So, I decided to build a sort of tenon jig to help me cut the joint. This took longer than I wanted to due to several errors on my part. But, all things considered, it didn’t turn out too...

Read this entry »


Part 3: A slight interruption, to put it mildly...

04-02-2011 08:05 PM by RDR | 5 comments »

Since my last post I have accomplished precisely zero on this project. A new project showed up that is taking up absolutely all my time. I’m pleased to introduce Norah June, born March 28 at 12:36 AM. She’s 8 lbs, 10 oz. of cute. So, there’s not a lot of woodworking going on lately. We both pretty much feel like this:

Read this entry »


Part 4: Some actual woodworking gets done!

04-24-2011 12:29 AM by RDR | 3 comments »

After much delay, some sawdust has finally been made! I decided that the way I was going to try to cut my half-lap joints was stupid. So, I ordered the dado stack I’ve been eyeballing for awhile. Before I could use it, though, I had to make a throat insert for my saw. I used DChip’s method found here: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/42514 They took a bit of sanding to get them to sit flush, but all in all I’m pretty happy with them. I made some spares,...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com