LumberJocks

Whiskey Tango F.. Box #5: Breakdown, and Up

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by PurpLev posted 01-13-2021 03:38 AM 422 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Timing is everything Part 5 of Whiskey Tango F.. Box series Part 6: Holdem Holdem »

Taking something fully assembled and cutting it down to pieces… and then putting it back together again. This is what this part is all about.

Dissassembly

So… with the box assembled and glued as a whole, it’s time to slide it open for some doors. first, after measuring for the correct depth of the doors (which will house some content), slicing on all sides and using blue tape and some fillers to keep the cut sides together while cutting the other sides to give it stability:

and open it up:

to make this into 2 doors, measure half way (ended up with 2 adjacent lines):

and slice it to 2:

ripped some 3/4 material and closed those gaps in the doors (missing picture).

Re-Assembly

With the parts sliced and diced. it’s time to put it together again. for this I will use SOSS hinges. I’ve always liked those because they are completely hidden, and elegant. probably an overkill for these doors, but I’ll use 2 hinges per door.

Starting with marking of the barrel. I clamped the door materials between 2×3/4 pieces of plywood to protect it from blowout:

and using a forester bit, drill on both ends, over extending the marking a bit to make sure it has enough clearance for the barrel (a little jiggle room):

then clean it up a bit:

with the barrel sliding easily in, I could then mark the screw holes which will be the center of the external drill holes to make room for the frame of the hinge:

and chisel it clean:

for a nice fit (photo shows a bit extended, but was later cleaned up deeper):

rinse and repeat:

and we have our box put together again:

lessons learnt:
Unfortunately because this was all free hand drilling, I did manage to drill through the inside of the door materials:

all things considered, this could have been avoided with more careful drilling and slower operation (but I did want to get through this as time was limited – lesson learnt)

same goes for the depth. I figured I’ll free estimate the depth. worked on most hinges, but some ended up being too deep preventing the hinge from closing properly. I used some hot glue behind the hinge which resolved it, but again, would have been avoided with a simple depth gauge, or … slower drilling :)

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com