LumberJocks

Homemade band saw mill #2: Gantry with height adjustment

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Pedrito posted 06-22-2022 03:45 AM 385 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Planning and calculations Part 2 of Homemade band saw mill series no next part

Finally, after various problems I can show some progress!

The frame:
I made the frame by gluing together 800 mm long 2×4 wood (about…). The first 3 layer I used Dewalt planer to get straight surfaces. This whole process took some time. If I would do it again, I would do this hollow for less weight.
The frame showed to be too heavy and having too large torque arm to the gantry, so I later cut away 3 cm longitudinal

This saved about 4 kg and reduced the torque arm with 3 cm (the most important).

The legs:
Usually, I would calculate almost everything, but this time I just estimated necessary length and the gantry location on the legs. This showed to be less good, so I had to calculate this. Later on, I glued extra 15 cm on front part, calculating that will be a motor weight.

The Gantry with locking mechanism:
Here I copied the solution of geekwoodworker. However, the gantry box is slightly different ball bearings on the sides.

However, here I did a mistake by painting the gantry grey. This showed later to have too much friction. The meaning was also to put marine barniz (lack) but didn’t happen. With Gekkwoodworkers solution of locking current position:

The height adjustment mechanism:
Really wanted a general system for height adjustment. The geekwoodworker solution may be more accurate, but first I tried to put a winch with wheels in various systems solution. Together with the gantry friction I found out that it was needed more wheels to force the winch wire to lift equal on both sides. Below picture just show’s one system that didn’t work good, but I made several.

I didn’t have that, but I had the same 1” threaded rods which do 8 turns per inch. I switch to geekwoodworker solution, but still had too much friction in the gantry (no picture). The handle for height adjustment I had to make two times as those in pine repeatable broke in pieces (with the high friction), so I finally made these in Tzalam wood. It takes some time to work with Tzalam.

The picture below shows updated gantry with no paint.

Final solution:
I had to remove all paint on the gantry, sand them and put used oil on sliding sides. The attachment to the gantry box is very similar to the geekwoodworker solution.

The final solution works great! I even put the motor on one side for a test.

Next I will start with the wheels. Actually I have already started. To investigate the best position of the gantry in relations to the wheel mounts, I made two 18 inch wheels and stretched the band. This was to know how much extra space was needed to put on the band. The tension adjustment must be able to adjust of 10 mm less then wheel distance.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com