Craftsman - Stickley Projects #5: Three Steps Forward, At Least One Step Back

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Paul posted 06-03-2007 02:43 AM 1375 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Finishing Advise Part 5 of Craftsman - Stickley Projects series Part 6: Repair Complete »

I “completed” the carcases and installation of the drawer dividers on the “twins.”

Free Image Hosting at
click for larger image

Things were going so well, I guess I was feeling frisky and got ahead of myself. I installed the dividers before attaching the side drawer guides on the twin. But hey, I’m a pockethole “expert” now! So, I’ll just drill some pocketholes and attach the side drawer guides without taking the dividers back out. On number eight of 10 side drawer guides, the driver bit slips and I put a neat little hole through the 1/4” side panel! After a few non-profane exclamations, I compose myself and install the last of the side drawer guides before turning the case off it’s side to survey what it looks like on the outside. Well, it’s a neat little hole on the inside. But, it’s an ugly splintered mess on the outside . . . in a futile hopeless effort, I push some glue in the hole and try to push it back together . . . yeah, right . . . so I took the advise of an article I read recently. I put a few things away. Took a few pictures for the blog and called it a day. No use in making it worse by trying to fix it while I’m upset.

Free Image Hosting at Click for larger image

Well, at least a couple or three drawer dividers will be coming back out after all. I'm going to have to remove the back half of the panel dadoes in the stiles, punch the damaged panel out and try to spring a new replacement panel into place. Of course the grain pattern won't be a continuation up the side anymore. Planing, sizing and dovetailing the drawer parts into drawers will have to wait.

Free Image Hosting at click for larger image

-- Paul, Kentucky

3 comments so far

View WayneC's profile


14359 posts in 5013 days

#1 posted 06-03-2007 02:48 AM

Thats a bummer. Hopefully someone (Karson?) will have a good technique to fix it.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View mot's profile


4928 posts in 4952 days

#2 posted 06-03-2007 04:32 AM

A few non-profane? I’d have been swearing like a sailor!

-- You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. (Plato)

View cheller's profile


254 posts in 5025 days

#3 posted 06-03-2007 03:13 PM

Rather than replacing the entire panel you could make a decorative patch. Years ago I built an end table as a wedding present for my brother. The top was a piece of plywood framed in solid wood. I can’t remember now how it happened but at some point in the construction I mucked up one of the frame pieces for the top. After much creative swearing I created a patch, aka dutchman, and patched the spot. It wasn’t the most elegant fix, but was a good enough grain match that I had to point it out to my brother.

The creation of the patch is easier with an inlay set, but at can be done without it.

-- Chelle

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics