Constructing "Old 99" #10: Up hill and a strong head wind

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by MrWoody posted 09-02-2008 12:36 PM 1208 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 9: The cabin part 2 Part 10 of Constructing "Old 99" series Part 11: Building steam »

Today I’m finishing the cabin. A piece of 1/8” x 1” square and a piece of 1/8” x 1 1/4” square sandwiched together form the roof vent. The plaques for the sides were done the same way as the triangles for the cowcatcher. Then I took a piece of 1/8” maple and ripped a 1/16” piece using my thin strip jig. I then glued it all on the cabin.


I now need two 1 1/4” long pieces of 1” dowel. I cut the dowel and wasn’t happy with the colour. It was cheap dowel from the lumber yard. I checked again hoping I would have a piece of maple; not! I have a piece of 7/8” maple but decided I couldn’t get away with it. I guess I could turn a piece of maple. Wait! If I’m going to turn it, why not black walnut? In part 2 of this blog I mentioned a flub while turning one of the pieces. I took the over sized piece and chucked it up.


The picture has lightened the 2 pieces in the middle that are the cheap dowel.
And the finished black walnut pieces.


There was a lot of head scratching getting to this point and the day is gone.

-- If we learn from our mistakes, I'm getting a fantastic education.

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics