LumberJocks

Journey into Woodturning #87: Gel Bead Pot

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by MovingChips posted 01-04-2022 03:01 PM 448 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 86: Outboard Turning Part 87 of Journey into Woodturning series Part 88: 1st Cup »

This project was based on a suggestion from a subscriber. They stated that they make the potpourri pots on the lathe too, but use Gel Beads. I never heard of Gel Beads and looked them up. I grabbed a piece of Wenge and got to work.

I have to back up a little and apologize for not putting out a video or completing a weekly project, last week. Right before Christmas (Dec 22 or 23) my PC where I do all my editing for the YouTube videos decided it was time to retire. I cannot complain about the PC, as it has been with me for 15 years.

Needless to say, without the ability to edit a video, makes it tough to upload to YouTube. Since it was the end of the year and I released 56 projects for the year (4 projects more than once a week for a year) I felt it was okay to take a break between the Christmas and New Year.

I researched and got a replacement machine, downloaded all the editing software, etc. and was ready for a new season. I created a new intro, because it was cold outside in the garage and I wanted to be sure the editing software was working the way I like. Then is was off to the garage to turn something.

Didn’t take long to figure out the project (as I already mentioned it above). I like making these little pots and it gives me a moment to get back into the swing of things… tool rest movement, bevel cuts, sharpening the tools, etc. I wasn’t gone long from the lathe, but it felt like forever.

This wasn’t the first time I used resin mixture, but it was the first time I used it to seal the inside of the pot. I decided to add a little color to the resin. At first I thought orange, then I thought that might like a little to Halloween. So I ended on green to match the gel beads I had.

The gel beads are great. I always found potpourri to be very strong for my sensitive nose. Although I enjoy make the pots I never really used them. After tropical storm Ida rolled through and made a mess of the basement, carpeting, walls, etc. We need something a little more than a dehumidifier, fans, chemicals, etc and I used the odor neutralizing gel beads to help. They worked great to get the Lysol smell and other cleaning smells out of the air.

I think this will be a very useful piece of art.

Here’s this weeks video: Gel Bead Pot



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com