LumberJocks

Journey into Woodturning #76: Mortar & Pestle for a Witch or Wizard

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by MovingChips posted 10-12-2021 02:14 PM 423 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 75: Peppermill Part 76 of Journey into Woodturning series no next part

This project is part of my month of Oct Halloween adventures. I thought a mortar & pestle would be a great gift for any potion maker, be it witch or wizard. For this project I found in my pile a 4×4x12 and a 3×3x12 Sapele. The 4×4 will be the mortar and the 3×3 the pestle.

The Mortar started out fine by making it round and placing a tenon on one end and splitting it in the middle. However, it was discovered I made my tenon too large for my four-jaw chuck. I remounted it, turned the tenon down small enough and got it in the chuck.

Now that it was in the chuck, I had to re-establish round. Then I could move on to the design phase. Interestingly enough, a small bead type rings appeared in a couple areas as I was re-rounding and gave me the idea for the shape. I coved out three sections between the base and the lid creating two sharp points or beads. I had to trim the shape slightly and reform the pointed bead to give the top of the mortar a wider lip then the narrower base. In other words, I tapered the wood top to bottom and maintained the shallow coves and pointy beads.

After making the mortise and polishing the outside of the mortar, I flipped it around and started to carve out the inside. I sent as deep as I could while leaving a heavy base to weigh down the mortar. Polished the inside as much as I did the outside to match.

Switching to the pestle, I mounted the 3×3, got it round, put a tenon on the end and split it two. Mounted on the chuck and began shaping the pestle. The main body of the pestle being a large tear drop on one end and a mushroom top for the other end as a handle. Coincidentally, the top or bottom of the pestle could be used for crushing.

After the initial shape of the pestle, I went straight to sanding. I stopped the lathe once I reach 600 grit and was wiping it down with denatured alcohol, when I noticed a huge internal crack. Apparently, the tree had split at some point in its life and grew around the crack, but never fully healed.

I could fill it with resin, but I wouldn’t have time for it to cure and complete before my Tuesday deadline for the video each week. So, part two of finishing the pestle might be a future update to the video. Otherwise, I think the project was a success.

Here’s this weeks video: Mortar & Pestle



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com