Journey into Woodturning #46: Failed basket illusion

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by MovingChips posted 03-02-2021 03:08 PM 806 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 45: Valentines Day Vase Part 46 of Journey into Woodturning series Part 47: Wig/Hat Stand »

I heard about the term “basket weave illusion” and conjured up my imagination on what that might mean. Eventually I came up with my own idea of what it might mean and discovered it was nothing like I thought.

I was not prepared to invest in the full exercise required for the basket weave and decided to see if “my version” was possible. I had an ash bowl blank failure from the previous lathe and quickly determined this would be my test piece.

For this project, it started out as a simple bowl design, with straight or vertical sides. Using a wide beading tool, I made concentric divisions of “flat beads”. Next, I moved toward the built-in lathe indexing and put in the 24 lines. I needed a minimum of 48, so I eye balled splitting the different to double the line count.

Here is where the experimenting really began. I thought I could use a chisel to put grooves in spots, tough wood. I switched to an electric carving tool, which worked much better, but was using the wrong bit. Swapped bits and direction of cut, that made a world of difference.

White ash is so bright I needed something to showcase the lines. I wanted to avoid the burning pen (otherwise I should have just done the traditional basket weave), so I grabbed a torch to burn the whole thing. I believe it accented the lines quickly and highlighted the wood grain. (I might have to do this on another bowl blank to highlight the grain, but that’s a future project.) At this point, I decided there was enough distraction from the outside, I left the inside plain.

Since this was a full-on experiment, I decided to try lacquer spray finish on the outside. I put on 3~4 layers, with drying time between coats. This created a decent finish, but it smelt up the place. I opened the garage doors and ran a fan, but it just lingered. The cold winter air didn’t help, I’m sure. For the inside of the bowl, I returned to old faithful finish, O.B. Shine Juice.

Here’s this weeks video: Failed basket illusion

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics