Work Bench Build

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Mosquito updated 05-10-2013 04:17 AM 6 parts 48812 reads 122 comments total

Part 1: The Beginnings, where I come from, and where I'm going.

11-05-2012 04:22 AM by Mosquito | 21 comments »

A Workbench… I figured it was about time I make one. I’ve been working with hand tools primarily for almost a year now, and my “workbenches” has had many forms. My primary work horse was the work mate. Now, this works, but is far from ideal. And so it goes on. I’ve also used a few other arrangements as well. Parallel jaw clamps, clamped to a folding table, clamped to a porch support beam. This actually worked surprisingly well, until there was any sort of side pressure… t...

Read this entry »

Part 2: More Plans, Top Slab, and Starting Legs

11-19-2012 12:46 AM by Mosquito | 24 comments »

So, as promised (though maybe a bit later than I had hoped)... Here’s another image of the plans I’ve got set forth. This still isn’t 100% set in stone yet, and probably won’t be, until I cut the joinery in the top for the legs. Thumb is a link to the larger version Right, with that out of the way, two things were certain. The size of the slab/top, and the length/geometry of the legs. So I have at least started that much. Cleaning up the face edge of the s...

Read this entry »

Part 3: Tenons on Legs, Mortises in Slab, and bottom board cut out

11-30-2012 03:04 AM by Mosquito | 20 comments »

I was reviewing the number of hours of PTO that I had built up, and realized that I had quite a bit to use up before the end of the year… So I took 2 days off earlier this week, and more or less dedicated them to working on my bench. I decided to go with angled tenons on the back legs, because the mortises would be easier to cut, and there’s still quite a bit of straight grain left in them anyway. The first one, I started by trying to use the bandsaw that my parents have in th...

Read this entry »

Part 4: Leg stretchers, Tool well frame, Top glued, and Wagon vise made

04-05-2013 02:25 AM by Mosquito | 21 comments »

Was looking back and realized I am way behind in the blog vs actual progress… So, I guess I’ll just jump right in with the pictures. First, I bored, chiseled, and cut the mortise and tenon joints for the stretchers from front leg to back leg. Not sure why my camera was having such issues with color. Then I bored and pegged them. Pegs are left long so I can still remove them more easily until I glue them in place. Then I cut dovetails for the too...

Read this entry »

Part 5: Wagon Vise completed, endcaps bolted on, and top flattened.

04-08-2013 11:39 PM by Mosquito | 12 comments »

Relatively quick turn around. This weekend was a busy one. First thing I worked on after getting the screw and hub assembled for the wagon vise, was getting the endcaps drilled and bolted on the bench 1/2” bolts, counterbored into the endcaps with a nut and washer on the underside.  Single 4” bolt on the wagon vise end due to width restrictions, and and double bolt on the leg vise end. Double bolt because I couldn’t get the 4 1/2” bolt back too far d...

Read this entry »

Part 6: Tool Well and Leg Vise

05-10-2013 04:17 AM by Mosquito | 24 comments »

I’ve made some progress since the last blog entry, so I suppose I should probably update things here… I’ve cut some pine up to make the bottom of my tool well. I may rabbet the ends in the future so they sit just a hair lower, but for now they do the job fine. Didn’t take many pictures of progress here, as it was just cutting up a couple pine boards and laying them in the groove and on the shelf.     The main part of of this blog pos...

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics