Drill Press Station - Small Shop Challenge

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Mike_D_S updated 11-16-2016 02:12 AM 4 parts 8020 reads 4 comments total

Part 1: Sketching Up

10-26-2016 02:50 AM by Mike_D_S | 4 comments »

I’ve been using the assembly/outfeed table from my other blog series for a while now and have been loving the versatility of the table. I’m kicking off phase 2 of the garage/shop organization project by cleaning up the back corner. Right now I have a wooden shelving unit in the corner holding a variety of smaller items and my mortiser. Packed in next to the shelving unit is a rolling tool chest that my drill press sits on. The tool chest blocks part of the shelving unit and ...

Read this entry »

Part 2: Main parts cut and top glued and laminated

10-31-2016 04:31 AM by Mike_D_S | 0 comments »

I went and picked up 3 sheets of 3/4 BB and one sheet of 1/2 BB from the local shop on Friday. Today I got out and broke down the ply sheets into rough sized parts using my Makita track saw (which I really like). I had everything cut to about 1/4” over size in about an hour and a half. The top is a little over 53” in both directions and for stregth I wanted it to be 1 1/2” thick. While I could have cut each layer of the top out of a single piece of 5’x5’ BB...

Read this entry »

Part 3: A little progress and a delay

11-06-2016 03:46 PM by Mike_D_S | 0 comments »

Work has been crazy, so I haven’t made as much progress as I’d like. But I have gotten the drawer cabinet cases glued up on Friday. Yesterday, I laid out the positions of the drawer slides and installed the slide halves on the cases. I also got the rear support leg glued up as well. I changed the design up a bit, adding a cross brace between the back leg and the backs of the cabinets. This will let me set the cabinets and back leg, then install the top without having to spe...

Read this entry »

Part 4: basically wrapped up

11-16-2016 02:12 AM by Mike_D_S | 0 comments »

I didn’t take many pictures as I just sort of got in the groove over the last few evenings. I received the new switch for my table saw, so I was back in business end of last week. I cut all the drawer parts and did the joinery. For basic drawer boxes, I like to use a drawer lock bit in my router table. I found a fairly easy way to set the height of the bit, so I can be set up and cutting the joinery in about five minutes. After cutting the joinery for the boxes, I cut a 1/4 dado ...

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics