LumberJocks

Homage to Trifern - attempting the 2 dye 4 vase

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Mike_D_S updated 04-26-2016 03:28 AM 6 parts 6395 reads 4 comments total

Part 1: The basic turning

04-15-2016 02:35 AM by Mike_D_S | 2 comments »

So I saw Trifern’s work (check out this) and was just blown away by his finishing technique. I’ve been wanting to try something like that for a while, but I always felt the rounded shape is some of the impact, so I never tried it as I didn’t have a lathe. Well I finally got a lathe and after a few practice pieces, I turned a semi-amphora to use as the test piece to try my hand at a dye job like Trifenrn’s. It’s not perfect by any stretch, but it’s a pl...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Dyes mixed and first coat on

04-16-2016 11:27 PM by Mike_D_S | 0 comments »

I picked up some black, red and yellow Transfast dyes and got them mixed last night. I also gave the amphora a wash down with water to raise the grain. I then gave it a quick hand sanding with a 320 pad and it ended up with a very silky soft feel. Today I spent some time thinking about how I was going to do the actual dye work. One of the things I figured out right away was that with the shape being fairly top heavy and prone to tipping when handled, I needed some way to work with the v...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Time for red

04-17-2016 12:50 AM by Mike_D_S | 0 comments »

Sanded back the black semi-aggressively with 150, trying to emphasize the natural blotch and open up a little more color area for the read dye. Starting to look like something interesting already. I tried as much as possible to sand with the natural light trends in the black with emphasis on avoiding too many repeated straight strokes. I wiped the red on heavy with a paper towel and didn’t wipe back with a clean paper towel this time. It darkened the lighter black areas very well ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Yellow makes the colors complete

04-17-2016 06:39 PM by Mike_D_S | 0 comments »

After letting the red coat dry overnight, the vase had a bit of a scarlet overtone and I was starting to get a little worried that the I had cut the black back a little too much and the entire piece might turn out more too red. But after giving it the next round of sanding, there was quite a bit of the red dye sort of dried on top and after giving the whole piece a very light sanding, the red tone was much less noticeable. The net step was to sand the highlights to open up some space for ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: A few coats of finish on now, starting to take some shine

04-20-2016 02:45 AM by Mike_D_S | 0 comments »

I gave the vase a couple of coats of ArmRSeal wipe on poly to get started on the finish work. There were a few surprises for me. One is how mush of the finish was pulled into the open grain sections. The poly soaked in and even just 0 or 15 seconds later it was almost like I hadn’t applied any poly at all. This is my first attempt at using an aniline dye, so I’m thinking that this may be normal since you don’t have the solids you normally would with a stain, so the pores...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Final finish and some decent pictures

04-26-2016 03:28 AM by Mike_D_S | 2 comments »

I finally ended up with 6 coats of Arm-R-Seal Poly in semi-gloss, giving it a light sanding after the last 3 coats with a 320 pad. I liked the look, but wanted just a bit more gloss, so I gave it two quick coats of spray lacquer in gloss. Now it’s looks good and the finish is glass smooth mostly. The really nice finish actually highlights some of the small imperfections in the turning, but you have to be looking up close to see them. I tried taking some pics using different lights...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com