LumberJocks

Small Projects #43: Kitchen drawer replacement

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Madmark2 posted 04-11-2021 11:30 PM 994 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 42: Indoor Car Stereos (two) Part 43 of Small Projects series Part 44: Buffer storage box (in process -- no pics yet but stay tuned) »

Fall 2019 I replaced the old, black slab, kitchen doors with nicer farmhouse doors with bead board inserts. Then Jan 2020 had a MI and then C19 hit and the drawers got put on hold.


SWMBO wanted “farmhouse”.

Just now (Apr 2021) trying to update the drawers. They’re black slabs with cheap white plastic pulls and the fronts are inseparably attached to the cheap 1/2” plastic coated MDF boxes.


Old “bottom dollar” non-wood, stapled drawer.

I needed to reuse the (cheap) drawer 3/4 extension slide hardware. This hardware wraps the edges and the 1/2” screws are 1/4” up from the bottom edge, just where the bottom dado would normally be. The bottom dado needs to be offset, making the drawer shallow.

The old bottoms were cheap 1/8” pressed board and I’m using cheap 1/4” ply instead. Since my bottom stock is 1/4” instead of 1/8” the dado needs to be wider. To keep from losing any more drawer depth I move the dado closer to the edge. This risks the screws busting into the bottom dado but I figured if I piloted the screws and was careful I’d be ok. Looks like it worked.

I tried getting (expensive) 1/2” poplar and oak and although the BORG web site sold it, three times my order got canceled. I called Craftsmen Supply in Ybor (Tampa) and they had 5/4 poplar that had already been planed to 1-1/8”. Using my TK blade I can get two 1/2” thick pieces with a 1/32” to spare.

The x6 stock was ripped down to an exact 4” to match the existing boxes. Then it was resawn down to 1/2” and the sides were cut to 19-3/4”. The finished width needed to be 11” and counting kerf I had less than 1/8” to spare from the original 5/4×6” x 30” blank.


This sliver is the only scrap!

Moving to the router I installed a 1/2” shank 1/4” dia. carbide shear angle double cutter to dado the sides and ends for the bottom. The carbide cutter went thru the poplar at 1/4” depth like buttah and was barely warm after the run.

Everything is under clamps now.


First of five drawers clamped and drying.

... time passes …

Out of the clamps I gave the box a final 200 grit sanding and transferred the old hardware to the new box. It fit into the old hole like it was made for it … ‘cause it was! LOL


Looking good. Hardware works great.

It’s currently unfinished until SWMBO decides.

-- The hump with the stump and the pump!



1 comment so far

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

7076 posts in 1902 days


#1 posted 04-12-2021 11:13 AM



I needed to reuse the (cheap) drawer 3/4 extension slide hardware.
- Madmark2

Solly Hhit...if we’re on the same page… YOU DO NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- If your first cut is too short... Take the second cut from the longer end... LBD

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com