LumberJocks

Small Projects #37: First Fast-Joint Mini - jig storage box.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Madmark2 posted 02-07-2021 04:04 AM 491 reads 1 time favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 36: Caliper Storage box Part 37 of Small Projects series Part 38: PC Router bushing storage box »

I got the Fast-Joint Mini jig (review HERE ) in and working the other day and thought what better first project than a storage box for all of the jigs bits and bobs? The complete, assembled jig consists of the following:


Lots of oddly shaped bits.

By stacking I was able to reduce the interior space required down to 8-1/4” L x 4-5/8” W x 4-1/8” H. With the sides 1/2” thick and the ends 3/4” the outside dimensions for the sides is 9-3/4” and 5-5/8” for the ends.


Everything fits!

I started with 3’ of 1×6 clear pine cut into three, 12” pieces. All three were ripped to 4-11/16”. Two of the pieces were resawn to 1/2” while the third was left at the full 3/4” (nominal) thickness.

Cutting both ends of both sides was fast and easy. The 1/2” sides were cut with the pin pattern. Some of the ends of the pins have chipout still. This may be eliminated by using other patterns.


Corner detail. Note dado in far side.

If anything cutting the tails was easier than the pins. No realignment or adjustments are needed when cutting the ends. Just unclamp one piece and clamp in the next.

The tails get sawdust in the corners that can keep the collar from getting tight to the pattern. A quick blow out of the dust and recut helped perfect the joint.

The sides and one end are dado’d for the lexan lid. The side dados are 1/8” W x 1/4” D to allow the 3/32” lexan to slide easily. The end dado is 3/32” W x 1/4” D to hold the end of the lexan as a lid lock. The other end is trimmed to allow the lid to slide out.

All the parts were test fit. Two of the corners were drop in fit while the other two needed a little persuasion from a rubber mallet. Once assembled the pieces were marked and the bottom measured and cut from 1/4” oak scrap.

There is a lot of irregular shaped surfaces that need to be brushed with glue. The tail ends were painted with glue and the box loosely assembled. Gluing the bottom was a little messy but not difficult. The clamps pulled everything tight while the glue dried.

Out of the clamps the box was sanded with 120 grit and then finished (as with most of my stuff) with two slatherings of Johnson’s Paste Wax.

The final box neatly holds everything, including the instructions:


Completed storage box – everything just fits.

-- The hump with the stump and the pump!



1 comment so far

View Rich's profile (online now)

Rich

6766 posts in 1638 days


#1 posted 02-07-2021 05:42 AM

Looks really nice, MM2. Thanks for sharing.

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com