LumberJocks

Small Projects #22: *4* Black Limba Dugouts *4*

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Madmark2 posted 04-01-2020 10:39 PM 483 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 21: No Ruler Hexagonal Door Knob Stop Part 22 of Small Projects series Part 23: Purpleheart Gun Box »

For those following this blog you know I have a Smoke Shop for a client. Last time I was there she asked if I could make a dugout with a sliding, not rotating, lid. I told her I’d give it a shot and here are the results.

I just recently bought some 2×2x12 wood turning blanks and one that I bought on a flyer was black limba, a wood I’ve never used. Turns out it’s very light and soft and not at all suitable for pipe making. However it is just right for dugout making.

Now rotating top dugouts are dead easy to make, drill a couple of holes, screw on a top, and call it good. Only problem is the screw mounted swivel lid loosens and spills the content – not good.

The plan is to make an “ice cream sandwich” with the two interior compartments skinned with two slab sides for the grooves for the sliding lid.

I sliced four 5/32 slabs off one side of the 2×2 (actual) block. These were planed to 1/8” (actually .135”) for the eight, 4”, sides.

I took the remainder and laid out the interior chambers on both ends. For those who don’t know a dugout has two chambers, one for the smoking device and the other for the smoking material.

Parts is parts

Cutting the layout on both ends and then band saw ripping the large piece yielded four middle layers. The bandsaw sawn faces were planed flat to 3/8”. Each middle layer combines both sides, the center divider, and bottom, into one piece. Although I could have made the sides, divider and bottom as separate pieces, I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to glue it up!

This is how I could figure out to glue it!

Using a couple pieces of scrap and three clamps each makes for a nice tight glue up. Each face was held in place until the glue started to grab using the bottom side as a reference. This was critical to making sure that the middle layer didn’t intrude into the lid groove – potentially ruining the pieces.

Three clamps each for tight joints.

Fortunately I had enough clamps to make four at a time. And the better half wants to know why I need more clamps. LOL

After a couple hours (dinner break, I ain’t on the clock! LOL) the boxes came out of the clamps, were coarse (80) and fine (240) sanded and then finished with two coats of Johnson’s paste floor wax.

Ready for lids.

The lids were a bit tricky to cut due to their small size (1/8” x 17/32” x 1-15/16”). The saw left a nice 1/16” groove in the bottom of my push pad as I cut two 17/32” strips. Cutting to length was easy and I had all of 1/8” of length to spare. The top edges of the sliders were beveled slightly on the belt sander to fit in the grooves. This was necessary as the lid stock was .135” trying to slide in a .125” groove.

The lids are small!

They’re all fit and finished ready for packaging.

All finished


Packaged for retail.

-- The hump with the stump and the pump!



1 comment so far

View ResearchKing's profile

ResearchKing

2 posts in 122 days


#1 posted 04-04-2020 08:18 AM

Thanks for this information. I am a researcher at https://eduprojecttopics.com/ (educational blog) been making research on woods so I came across this page. thanks for sharing

-- Academic Researcher at https://eduprojecttopics.com/ and https://iprojecttopics.com/

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com