Entertainment Center #5: The Media Cabinet is complete!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Loogie posted 07-23-2010 05:40 AM 4948 reads 3 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Dovetails complete Part 5 of Entertainment Center series no next part

Well, it’s taken nine months, but the project is finally complete!

In my last post I had just finished cutting the dovetails for the carcass sides and top.

From there I moved on to cutting the dado’s for the interior panels:




With the joinery all cut for the interior I was ready for a trial fit:


From there I went to work on the doors and the beaded face frame. The bead was milled separately and applied to the inside of the face-frame. The doors are cope and stick (I really wish I had made them mortise & tenon – lesson learned). I had to order a 15 degree raised panel bit in order to get a raised panel that still allowed me to get a flush back on the door with 3/4” material. I found one from CMT and it worked great.


Next I moved on to the bracket feet. The dovetails for the bracket feet were hand cut (I did two prototypes first and I was glad that I did because they got better each time). I couldn’t have cut them by machine if I’d wanted to because the front piece was way to long to put into any jig I know of. I cut the dovetails first and then I used a coping saw to rough cut the profile I had drawn for the bracket feet, then I used a 1/2” spiral flush trim bit to route to the template I had made out of 1/2” MDF that I stuck to the work with carpet tape.



After I got the feet completed and installed I milled the mouldings, finished the edge treatment on the top and hung the doors.


With the front complete I turned my attention to the back. I resawed a 13” wide board and the plane it down to 5/16” and then planed to edges down to 1/4” to fit the grooves in the railes and stiles. I covered the area behind the drawer boxes with a single board secured with cut nails.



I constructed a cord organizer and vent panel for the back that will allow easy access to the wiring of the components and still allow some air circulation.

I sanded to whole piece to 320 and applied three coats of a standard mix of 1/3 odorless mineral spirits, 1/3 boiled linseed oil, and 1/3 McCloskey Satin Heirloom Varnish. On the top I added an additional coat of varnish thinned only with the OMS.








-- Mark

9 comments so far

View RonPeters's profile


713 posts in 4341 days

#1 posted 07-23-2010 07:39 AM

Beautiful work!

I’m thinking of doing something like this too.

Does it ‘look’ orange, or is that just the photo? Sometimes a camera changes the colors, or if florescent lighting was used? Being cherry wood, will it darken naturally?

That looks like a Lie Nielsen…sweet.

-- “Once more unto the breach, dear friends...” Henry V - Act III, Scene I

View Eric_S's profile


1565 posts in 4656 days

#2 posted 07-23-2010 01:58 PM

Beautiful entertainment center. Thank you for putting in vents and wire tracks too :) Your a/v equipment will thank you.

What kind of finish did you use? What kind of wood for the drawer sides? I’m still debating what wood to use on the drawer sides of my cherry and maple nightstands but yours looks great. I like the dovetail spacings too.

-- - Eric Noblesville, IN

View Loogie's profile


100 posts in 5240 days

#3 posted 07-23-2010 02:07 PM

Thanks guys! It’s not really orange, more of a warm brown. The pictures of the drawer front is most accurate. The magic of cherry will darken it over time and it will become a deeper and deeper brown.

The drawer sides and bottoms are pine. For the finish I used a mixture of 1/3 oderless mineral sprits, 1/3 boiled linseed oil and 1/3 McCloskey Satin Heirloom Varnish. I applied three hand-rubbed coats to the case. For the top I added one additional coat without the BLO.

-- Mark

View DocK16's profile


1200 posts in 5547 days

#4 posted 07-23-2010 02:49 PM

Great blog series, and an even greater finished piece, No bloch on the cherry, nice job

View papargbear's profile


75 posts in 5082 days

#5 posted 07-23-2010 03:54 PM

Nicely done!

View ShannonRogers's profile


540 posts in 5248 days

#6 posted 07-23-2010 04:00 PM

Excellent work Mark. The beaded frame, beveled drawer fronts and elegantly shaped feet really bring the traditional feel to this piece while still preserving the contemporary form. I love seeing historical styles blended into modern pieces. How did you choose to attach the feet and lower molding?

-- The Hand Tool School is Open for Business! Check out my blog and podcast "The Renaissance Woodworker" at

View Loogie's profile


100 posts in 5240 days

#7 posted 07-23-2010 05:02 PM

Thanks guys! Shannon, the front part of the bracket feet is glued to the horizontal part of the face frame – which was quite wide. On the sides I attached it at the back with a screw through an elongated hole through the bottom of the case side (the case sides carry all the weight of the piece except for the center support structure. The bottom moulding is glued to the bracket feet on the sides and also to the face frame on the front. Part of the center support structure also supports the back of the middle put with a sliding dovetail. You can see it in second to last picture.

-- Mark

View CaptainSkully's profile


1615 posts in 5019 days

#8 posted 07-23-2010 06:11 PM

That is unbelievably beautiful! Worth the wait.

-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails

View Beginningwoodworker's profile


13345 posts in 5133 days

#9 posted 10-03-2010 10:35 PM

Thats some beautiful work.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics