LumberJocks

My first big build, and what a journey it's been. Yet another workbench.

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Lind updated 08-31-2015 11:04 PM 4 parts 6654 reads 1 comment total

Part 1: Why I needed a workbench, planning the project and getting materials.

08-31-2015 09:48 PM by Lind | 0 comments »

Hello everybody I’ve been lurking here for a while now, and since I just finished my first big build this weekend I figured I’d make a post to showcase the process and some of the mistakes I made. I’ve been wanting to get into woodworking for a while so a couple of months ago I decided to pay a visit to my parents’ house to spend a few hours in their workshop. I live in a small apartment in the city so visiting my childhood home in the countryside is quite litera...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Gluing the top

08-31-2015 09:55 PM by Lind | 0 comments »

After watching Paul Sellers’ workbench videos I decided to assemble the top first an deal with the legs etc later, so after making the mortise and the piece that would later support the tail vise I was ready to glue up the top. I was going to do it in 2 parts and after a lot of planning and practising, I glued the first 6 pieces up and it worked like a charm, but the second round became a lot more stressful despite my best efforts to be prepared: As you can see, it was a bit of a...

Read this entry »


Part 3: The legs, the frame and a whole bunch of joinery

08-31-2015 10:27 PM by Lind | 0 comments »

The top felt really solid and I was starting to get a feeling for the weight I’d eventually end up with. I wanted to fix my mistake with the tenon walls I’d sawn prior to the assembly so I could fit the breadboards: I decided to just chop it out with a sharp chisel. I enjoyed this process a lot, which was fortunate considering that I spent the better part of a weekend putting the bottom together and attaching it to the top. Safe to say I got to hone both my chiseling and my...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Fitting the vises and finishing up

08-31-2015 11:04 PM by Lind | 1 comment »

After a lot of planing and a lot of sanding I arrived at the above, and was ready to fit the vises. (By the way, the white spots are filler used to seal and fill som nasty planing marks where the grain switched direction… Next time I’m buying better wood.) I wanted a leg vise, but wasn’t decided on whether I was going to go with a standard parallel guide with a pin or if I wanted to try a pinless design. I haven’t used a lot of benches but the pin just didn’t...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com