LumberJocks

Mixer stand build

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Lalen updated 01-03-2017 04:48 PM 5 parts 4721 reads 7 comments total

Part 1: Getting Started: Legs and top

12-05-2016 02:42 PM by Lalen | 0 comments »

Yep, using soft pine. Not confident enough yet to spend the $ on hardwood. This could just end up being a prototype if I don’t like how it finishes but it wont be used for chopping. Updated Plan Gluing up the legs: Taper Jig ready (haven’t made it adjustable yet) Gluing up the top. Need some shorter pipes for my pipe clamps. 5’ pipe clamps on a 16.5” wide top. “ha!” but I needed their strength.. Top ended up with a slight twi...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Legs and "joinery"

12-06-2016 02:55 PM by Lalen | 3 comments »

Tapering of the legs went pretty well. The tapering jig in the last post failed a little because all I had done is shoot brad nails in the cross braces. ( Duh!) had to reset the angle and re-cut a few sides but not too bad. (lesson #1: secure the jig!) Since this was a 4 side taper, I cut 2 sides, then used the off-cut as a wedge to fill the gap when I cut the other 2 sides. I cut the notch (dado?) for the shelf in my table saw sled before I did the taper so it would be perpendicular ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Updated drawing, lower shelf and dowel holes

12-08-2016 08:42 PM by Lalen | 0 comments »

Updated drawing- Planning to use walnut for contrasting dowels. Stain will be early american, a bit lighter than this indicates. Planing the lower shelf with the router jig. Much easier with a 1.5” bit! I didnt think about it while setting it up, but by making the side rails sacrificial and tight to the piece it gives a good zero clearance to avoid tear out.. Not a problem on the ends because they will be cut off square. Installing the lower shelf. Using table saw t...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Getting it finished - Almost

12-12-2016 01:01 AM by Lalen | 3 comments »

One final design change. After doing a dry fit assembly I didn’t like the design of the towel bar so I made a new one and updated the drawing. With this design I cut it out of one board. I think it fits a little better and gives a little more room for kitchen towel. Close up of the walnut dowels pinning the mortises. They have a little competition for attention from knots on the legs. Stain and first topcoat on. The stain really highlights the grain! and any pla...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Follow up: Put to use

01-03-2017 04:48 PM by Lalen | 1 comment »

I am a little slow to close this out, but Mom loved her mixer stand and has got it in its new home. It seems plenty sturdy. She put a heavy scale on the bottom which helps move the center of gravity. I’m glad I put adjustable feet! It sat perfectly on 4 legs when on a flat surface, but turns out her tile in that corner was a bit uneven, but no problem. Thanks again to all for the feedback during the build. Special thanks to CaptainSkully (http://lumberjocks.com/Cap...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com