LumberJocks

Seating Bench Under Construction

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Karson updated 01-31-2014 08:51 PM 4 parts 8871 reads 32 comments total

Part 1: Lumber Selection

01-25-2014 04:49 AM by Karson | 5 comments »

Our woodworking club The Mason Dixon Woodworkers are setting up a workshop for the members to make a bench. When the workshop committee met we were looking for a project that could be completed early in the year, and one that could get completed in one day. The Fine Woodworking issue Possibly issue 1 for 2014 had on the back cover a picture of a few different benches. They didn’t have any plans, but one of the committee members said that he’d make a demonstration bench to sh...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Creating some of the undercarriage of the bench

01-26-2014 10:47 PM by Karson | 7 comments »

I started to cut up the pieces for the bench. The end panels are 8 X 13 1/2 with a curved section cut out at the bottom. Marking the curve on the panel. The pieces cut out. Marking the curves for the legs. They are 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 at the top and 2 1/2 X 1 1/2 at the bottom and the curve is 1 7/8 at a mark 8 1/8 from the top end. And the legs cut. The stretcher is 4 7/8 on each end and 3 1/2 in the middle by 1 1/2” And cut: Now on to sanding all of those curved sur...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Repairing some defects

01-28-2014 06:01 AM by Karson | 9 comments »

A couple of the pieces of board that I’m using have some some pith showing. This is common in Walnut when you have the board that is in the middle of the tree. One end panel had the pith on each side, bottom on one side and top on the other side. I glued in a piece of walnut. And then cleaned it up. The one on the other side was a lot bigger. It glued in fine And it got cleaned up The stretcher had a small defect, I used a clamp to squash the pieces into the defe...

Read this entry »


Part 4: The undercarriage done

01-31-2014 08:51 PM by Karson | 11 comments »

I took the panels and the legs and I cut biscuit slots. I thought I took pictures but don’t find any so I glued the panels and legs together. Both ends done. I decided to use dowels to hold the ends to the stretcher. The plan was to run screws through the panels and then plug the hole. I opted not to do it that way. I used dowel centers to mark the stretcher. I then glued the undercarriage together. Then i had to set the bench seat on to see what it looked like.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com