Beaver rehab #2: disassembley clean and fix

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JuniorJoiner posted 02-11-2011 03:55 AM 1554 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Rescuing some old beavers Part 2 of Beaver rehab series Part 3: jointer finished and gone »

I haven’t been hitting this restore with my usual vigor. I’ve been dogged by my back issues, so even these smallish tools evoke much morphine use. such is life.
here is the drill in it’s new state, no noticeable runout, smooth and quiet.

kid stuff,
The jointer is another story. This machine was stored in a basement that flooded(often), and hadn’t been so much as dusted off in 11 years. On top of that, once I had it dissasembled and started sanding down the rust, I could see that someone had used this machine as an anvil for a bit. Leaving dents in the table, and a deformation of the cutterhead. The only good news was it was all repairable or cosmetic, not a show stopper.
There were some good surprises, the blades are brand new, and good quality, and the bearings had no noticeable wear, I would say this machine has seen less than 30 hours runtime in it’s whole life.

Before and after of the cutterhead, the damage repaired.

One thing that has really caught my attention on this machine is the quality of the iron, this is not the cast iron you buy on a machine today. this stuff is amazing, so fine, and still so true after all this time and misuse. A testament to how well things can be done if we try.

So, with only one Broken knob, this machine is good to go, just paint touch-ups and reassembly.

Some people would say it is not a restoration without being as the day it was new, and I agree. In this case I am settling for a rejuvenation, This Iron should be good for another lifetime of service.

-- Junior -Quality is never an accident-it is the reward for the effort involved.

4 comments so far

View spunwood's profile


1202 posts in 3757 days

#1 posted 02-11-2011 04:02 AM

Wow! What did you use?

-- I came, I was conquered, I was born again. ἵνα ὦσιν ἓν

View JuniorJoiner's profile


497 posts in 4361 days

#2 posted 02-11-2011 04:37 AM

I used sandpaper to clean off the rust, dressing the tables. I fixed the damage to the cutter head by turning it again, re-truing the damaged spot.

-- Junior -Quality is never an accident-it is the reward for the effort involved.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile


13345 posts in 4594 days

#3 posted 02-11-2011 05:13 AM

The drill press looks good.

View HokieMojo's profile


2104 posts in 4649 days

#4 posted 02-11-2011 06:16 AM

looking great! I’m blogging my restore as well, but you already shot past me!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics